Black Quartzite? Appalachian/Mid Atlantic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Quartzite? Appalachian/Mid Atlantic

Anybody knowledgeable about the origins of black quartzite? I apologize for the poor picture quality, my camera doesn't do well at the needed focal depth. It occurs at about a rate of one in seventy cobbles in the local streams.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackQuartzite.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	575613 And it's different in color from the ferruginous Rose Hill Formation, or at least I thought so. When lightened with software they have a little purplish tint, as posted. The fire treated Antietam Clagett is just for color comparison. Any input would be appreciated.
    Coastal Plain of Maryland

Interesting pieces although i don't know anything about material, orange piece is really neat
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Hey Mondo, wish I could intelligently comment,( actually I wish I could intelligently do anything lately) ..Howsomever, I sure would like to find one each of them beauties..Thanks for showing, very cool.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Charlie would probably know if he sees this
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          So many quartzites in many different regions. Find lots of it in RI, but really don’t know where any of it was sourced, other than blond quartzite, believed sourced in eastern Ct. I have a couple made of very dark grey quartzite, don’t know it’s source. For other regions, like that shown by MondoLithic, I’m clueless…..

I was on the Delaware River bank below Trenton walking with Jack Cresson the archeologist and knapping instructor once and he was talking about black quartzite and showed me a boulder of it her was going to come back for. It was bigger than a bowling ball and had very light colored cortex. Cohansey quartzite is black on rare occasion. I can say pretty surely that Erwin-Antietam is never black, but some Pa. Chalcedony that isn't completely cryptocrystalline can be black. Black quartzite is fantastic looking!!! I've found only a couple broken pebbles of it in South Jersey. Wish I could tell you more. I'm on the lookout for it now that you mentioned it ☺️
        New Jersey

Comment

Thanks for the weigh ins, folks. After doing a search on the Rose Hill Fmt. this morning, I'm leaning towards the black being a variation of it. Maybe the black content is un-oxidized iron or magnesium content.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	18AN551177.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	575892 For those that like color, here's a spread of Savannahs out of local quartzite from one site that I processed. Though the pile is missing the partially heat treated ones, and the purple banded stuff at least, maybe more colors. The lime green flecks I think are remnants of when they were glued to a backboard.
          Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            I am glad i was looking back through this thread to see this fantastic collection of points.

I find it on a field but just preform and core stage
          NW Georgia,

Comment

A great variety of color.
            Wisconsin

Comment

Don’t get the black quartzite here in NC, but I love it! Thanks for sharing
              North Carolina

Comment

Working...
              X