Chalcopyrite hand axe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalcopyrite hand axe.

Now here is an odd one for all you to see. I was visiting a collector friend yesterday. On his countertop was a nice large piece of Pyrite. (Chalcopyrite ). I'd seen it before but picked it up again to have another look at it. I asked where he found it. He said "on the bank of one of his Arrowhead sites".. Now that peaked me! I saw what looked like chipping in the working edge. So I got my jeweler's loop out of my truck and had a very close look at what turned out to be chipping along one edge. NO CRAP! This thing was worked! Well I never! All 4 picts show the bit edge Pict # 1 the piece. You can see what looks like a lug on the bottom.#2 opposite side. #3 Side view. #4 The working edge. Okay we all see those many picts. where people just have a wild imagination. ( It fits my hand) Everything you can hold fits your hand dag gone it! This Piece really has a lug on the back and a worked edge. The last Pict is the best I can do to show the workmanship, you can see the flaking. I know the old saying, I've used it many times. You have to have this in your hands to see the beautiful workmanship. This is the real deal! There isn't any polish or grinding> Pyrite is a form of iron. I am amazed to show it. There is an article from an old paper, Of " The last Indian to come through this county" He was looking for the "old silver mine" Well they say he found it. I really think it was a lead outcrop on the Mountain. But I have never found it. I think this piece came from that area, not far from where it was found on the native site. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210927_125248.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	589008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210927_125239.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	589009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210927_125231.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	589010
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210927_125328.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	589011
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Arti. I really wish I could send it to everyone so they could se for themselves.

You've handled enough relics that I certainly trust your in-hand view over what I can't see on my phone screen,

Lots of Mound builder groups were also rock collectors. Fluorite, Pyrite, Galena, and many others have been found traded in from exotic locations. (Penna is an exotic place to some people.)
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Quite frankly clovis, I couldn't believe my eyes. It's the darn strangest worked piece I have ever seen from our area Thanks for your comment. K
Working...
X