Flint ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flint ridge

I found this chunk of material yesterday in a field in my area,16x11x9 weighing in at a whopping 70 pounds! Does anyone see any signs of where pieces may have been removed to make tools?

Yes I do..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Are you near the quarry? Licking and Muskingum Counties?

I've never seen ancient people move such large hunks of ridge moved away from the quarry, it's usually so fractured that it's just easier to clean it up and carry quarry blanks or bifaces.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I found it 4 and a half miles from flint ridge to east in Muskingum county

Comment

Definitely a piece of ridge, I don't see any places on the stone where NA removed anything.
          Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I can provide more images but I doubt that a NA would have walked past this and not takin a piece off it to work

Comment

Glacial till moved from the outcrop to the current spot? Certainly a great piece if you were a knapper or know one. I'd have brought it home and unsuccessfully smashed it into unusable pieces lol.

Another thing, from another of your posts careful digging in that creek you were referencing in another post Ohio frowns on that big time

Comment

• B.Rubble
                B.Rubble commented
                Editing a comment
                Muskingum County area was unglaciated

Non navigable creek on private property

Comment

Is that the only raw flint you find there? It seems to be too large to have been manually transported, but it got there somehow. It makes me wonder if there's nearby buried source.

Comment

• B.Rubble
                  B.Rubble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Probably the only lose piece because it was moved to the fence line so field could be brush hogged

To Hal, would this be the area where material was removed?

Comment

Working...
                X