Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut Lithic

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what this material might be? It was found in central Connecticut and is quite uncommon. To be honest, I'm not even sure if this is debitage, or even natural. I will say that it is very hard and appears to be conchoidal. The dark spots look like quartz inclusions. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Justin
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738~2.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	601173

Looks like terrazzo
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Poquonock
      Poquonock commented
      Editing a comment
      It does look like terrazzo, Hal. There were home sites adjacent to this field dating back to at least the 18th century. Many thanks for the input.

It looks like a type of conglomerate stone or granite.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Looks like a schist we have. Never found anything made from it comes in slivers
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Only knappable lithic I can think of that might look like that would be one of our New England rhyolites, of which there are many. It could very well be a rhyolite, but not sure I am familiar with any that are that busy with inclusions/phenocrysts.

It does bear a resemblance to Wakefield “Salt and Pepper” rhyolite, outcropping in the suburbs north of Boston. Of all the rhyolites the late Jeff Boudreau included in his “A New England Typology”, that is the only one it resembles.
        Last edited by CMD; 11-22-2021, 11:44 AM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Poquonock
          Poquonock commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the input, Charlie. Yeah, I thought it might be a rhyolite, too -- and I agree that it is quite busy. I also consulted Boudreau's Typology and came to a similar conclusion as you. I'm also posting this to a geology forum and I'll update this post if they are of help. Thanks again, Charlie.

The way the breaks look, it doesn't look very knappable. (Which puts it squarely in some of the best lithics in the Northeast.)
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X