Lithic Quest 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithic Quest 1

I am trying to identify the materials that a few artifacts are made from. They are all from the eastern US.

PHOTOS 1-4 : These three pieces look to be made of the same or very similar material. I'm not saying they are for sure made of the same material, but they may be.

The two scrapers in these photos are the same that I posted photos of a few days ago in another thread only this time I took care to photograph them not in direct sun, against a neutral background, and with my camera's white balance set to zero/neutral also. I feel the colors represented in these photos is accurate. The PPK in these four photos is from the same collection as the scrapers and looks to be of the same of very similar material.

None of theses artifacts are translucent when held to bright light. I would say the have a waxy feel to them.

PHOTOS 5-8 : Another three artifacts that look similar to my untrained eye. The point on there right in photo Home may be different than the other two but it's not too far off.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? I am mostly trying to figure out the lithic, but any suggestions on typology would also be helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to look and, as always, this forum has been invaluable as source of information and knowledge. Much appreciated.

Hey Atlantic City. I know this is an older post but was browsing around and saw you had no replies.

I am not good at id-ing lithics, but do see that photo 8 looks like a dead ringer Dovetail. Does it have a ground base?

And the one in the center photos 1-4 look like a Benton broad stem to me if it was found in KY...

Comment

This must of gotten lost in some discussion .
      good question and it looks like your looking for lithic type.
      Someone from the East area will chime in .
      Charlie should know or any of our guys from that area . I have a limit to Chert and quartz .

Comment

Can't tell the material from the pics, but the artifacts are nice. Are these from Eastern mass?
        Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

They are orphans. But after much research, some help from people here on this forum, and some local archaeologists I have met with I believe they are from the Southeast US. Definitely some of my favs from the "The Orphan Frame" though. Thanks!

Comment

Looks like eastern Pennsylvania to me. It's not the only place with brown/Jasper though.
            New Jersey

Comment

Cool!

Cliff notes version of the cliff notes version: They come from a collection gathered circa the 1930s-1950s and consist of mostly eastern Massachusetts stuff. The man who collected them, Carlton B Hoyt, moved to upstate New York towards the ends of his life. He first moved the Central Bridge area and then to the Buffalo area where, shortly after moving there, he died in a farming accident (Ancestry.com is an amazing resource). A few NY artifacts were in the collection so he definitely continued to hunt in the brief time he lived there. Perhaps that's where these hail from? It's pretty close to PA.

My issue (for the past three years) is that two of the original frames that housed his collection were broken and the artifacts dumped into a cardboard box along with some southeastern points that were likely never part of Carlton's collection. The intact frames were all very well labeled with exactly (down to the individual street and even which corners of a given farmer's field) where the artifacts were found and when (the actual day!). Whatever notes existed in the broken frames were lost (not in the cardboard box) and so those artifacts are "orphans". I've tried to pin down where they are from but have, at this point, resigned myself to just putting them in what I call "The Orphan Frame" .

It's been a lesson to me in the value of proper curation. So many of the orphan points are simply beautiful. Not knowing where they come from just kills me.

Thank you. Any insight from people who know more than me (which is most everyone here!) is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X