Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe material discovery

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-pipesto...ssumption.html
    goes to show you most guys only know what they was told in the past about this stuff. its all up to science to set this hobby str8'!!

Yeah, I learned a little here!
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

By the time the Hopewell people lived in Ohio and other places, they had a pretty good trade network going in many desirable raw materials- like pipestone, mica, steatite, seashell and probably many other perishable materials we will never know about. It is not surprising now that these scientists can identify the sources on some of these stone materials used in that late period. It is about time that science catches up with what many collectors have known through their collections- that trade existed in high-quality raw materials for a thousand years or more.

Comment

The Hopewell were "conspicuous consumers and connoisseurs of the exotic"
        They were probably smoking some of that fine VA. Brightleaf in those effigies, whilst having their morning black drink. Such decadence!
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

What a great read. Thanx for sharing. All I can add is, this pipe was found in NE Kansas. I personally saw it pulled from the mud. One of the most exciting times that I can remember. To my knowledge, no other pipe of this style, or caliber has ever Been found in this area. I've been told by some experts that it comes from Ohio. And from Hopewell peoples. To be found in Kansas show there trade and travels to be vast. Great thread. Thank u.
          Travis

Comment

Very good James! I enjoyed the read. Interesting that most of all the sources that were used, are along the water ways. That would suggest what I think most already knew, that trade routes followed water ways. Thanks for sharing.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
            X