What is this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this stuff?

Just started artifact hunting the day after Thanksgiving this year, so I don't know a lot just yet. Recently, I have been finding a lot of this material and have found three artifacts in the last month made of it. Attached are the pictures. My buddies call it "Kentucky Concrete" out of lack of a proper name for it. Wondering if any of you smart people out there can help me out. Found in Western Kentucky. Thanks!

I have no idea but it is an interesting lithic.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Your right rmartin, it is very interesting.  With all of those "smaller rocks" in the make up of it, you wouldn't think it would be workable, but that Eva point is worked real fine and thin.  The flaking does not stop at the edge of one of the smaller rocks, it flaked right through them.  Very interesting and the color on that scraper is awesome.  Hoping someone can give me a name so I don't sound so ignorant when I show them to people and call it Kentucky Concrete!

Comment

Here are a couple of broken pieces from Tenn that are similar. I believe it is called pudding stone. Yours appears to be made of finer material.

Comment

Very interesting lithic! A conglomerate.....I have something similiar from Connecticut and the material is called Felsite....probably not the same stuff.

Southern Connecticut

Comment

Good to know RandallJ and Cgode.  Thanks!  Neat seeing other variations of it.

Comment

Definitely a conglomerate type of material. Here is a piece made from a conglomerate type material from Joplin,

Missouri.

Comment

Haney ?  Out of Carter County.
                Muldraugh/Fort Payne ? Out of Jefferson -and- Knox counties.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Looks like a type of fossilized chert imo, there are many varieties in Ky.

Comment

the mustard

Comment

Love it.  To my tired eyeds it's quartzite imho as the cement for conglomerate in at least one pic.  2nd pic.
                      New Jersey

Comment

Nice material, I agree, some type of conglomorate.  Here's a Harrahey I found here in Colorado made of a Windy Ridge quartzite conglomorate.  I love that material, nice pics everyone!

Comment

Got out my Prehistoric Chert Types of the Midwest by DeRegnaucourt and Georgiady. I think Greg's right about the Muldraugh/Fort Payne chert. They say, "found extensively along the Ohio River" and "used mostly during the Archaic period".

Comment

Here's a piece from my area.

Comment

I'm also from Western Ky. Have seen many rocks with this material but none that have been worked. Might have to look at them closer next time.   thanks for sharing.
                              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Working...
                              X