Ramah Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramah Chert

Ramah Chert is a translucent quartzite found only in far northern Labrador. It was a favorite tool stone of the Maritime Archaic tradition, present in maritime Canada and the northern coast of Maine:

It was quarried earlier as well. Here is a fluted point from Vermont made of Ramah Chert, probably sourced when Lake Champlain was the Champlain Sea and connected to the Atlantic:
    http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/cast...ramahchert.htm
    As this distribution map indicates, it has been found in collections as far south as Delaware/Maryland. Quite the distance to travel via trade:

Ramah Chert points:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-03-06-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	217689

Photo Credit:
    http://nlarchaeology.wordpress.com/2...or/earlt-late/
    Rhode Island

I have friends in Port au Choix I tell them all the time to go looking along the coast they might get lucky and find something . If I remember right the natives were called Beothuk . Newfoundland is an awesome place . Thanks for sharing that info.

Comment

Now that right there is some pretty cool material.

Comment

Kinda looks like a sugar quartz. Nice stuff Charlie.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I think Coach took the words out of my mouth !!
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

rmartin wrote:

It is, Ray, and one of the nicest varieties of "sugar quartz" quartzite going...
            Rhode Island

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=76199
                It is, Ray, and one of the nicest varieties of "sugar quartz" quartzite going...
                From what I can see Charlie, I agree!
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here is a large Ramah Blade....

Comment

That is an incredible blade :woohoo: if you get a chance, you can hit the "insert" tab next to the upload button(you can do it in edit too), and your photos will appear enlarged. They deserve it! Where was it found? It's awesome, thanks for sharing.
                  Looking at the 2nd photo again, that's the best blade of Ramah I've ever seen. Incredible!
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the help with the "insert " button.  As you can tell, I'm new at displaying pictures on this forum.
                    The Ramah Chert Blade above is 10 1/2 " long.  It was found near Kalamazoo, MI many years ago.  It remained part of an old collection from an Indiana collector for over 50 years following his death. The blade is most likely from the Maritime Archaic Period and may well constitute the record for southwestern movement of Ramah Chert from it's Labrador origin.

Comment

Wow that is a beautiful blade I love that. Great pictures too. Thank You so much for posting that beautiful blade!
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Has anyone else got artifacts made from Ramah chert?

Comment

I found this late last year and never did get an ID on the lithic, is this Ramah chert?

Comment

Not sure, Eric. Hang onto the flake though. It does look like sugar quartz and somebody may be able to give you a firm yes/no some day, but based on photos I can't say.
                            Rhode Island

Comment

...wanted to share this. My grandfather showed me a spot in sandbars offshore where stones from Dauphin County Pennsylvania dam were dumped. I have collected it ever since. Local Smithsonian Archaeologists confirmed that it is here, that report just came out this week. Will share more photos soon as we dive for it every week...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X