No announcement yet.

Ramah Chert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie, I don't want to derail this Ramah Chert thread, but your green triangle may possibly be a material that I have just learned of. It might be Pelham Chert, which seems to have been found here in North Central Mass. I saw a few points in an old donated collection from this area and they were described as Pelham Chert. I've found a few pieces and some chips of what I believe are this material. An online search of the material only turned up these two links.

https://www.britannica.com/science/chert Note the first picture at the top of the page.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the suggestion, Alan.

Now to put this thread back onto Ramah Chert. On one of the Islands off of Cape Cod I found this biface that had two worked edges. Our friend Bill M. who is more of a lithic expert than I am thinks that it might be Ramah Chert. He asked that I show it to Dr. Gramly as he is currently interested in the the spread and distrebution of Ramah Chert.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ramah chert b.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	277068Click image for larger version  Name:	ramah chert a.jpg - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	277069
    Last edited by clambellies; 12-18-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like one for the next meeting, Alan.

Here's another point that's at least in the sugar quartz family, but again, not really dark enough. And Ramah seems to be very fine grained compared to many other sugar quartz varieties....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9251.PNG
Views:	210
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	277165
    Rhode Island

Comment

Very nice point.

Comment

We have lab testing results on the way this coming week. Dr. TURBEN is who would be best to contact at the Smithsonian at this time as Dr. Stanford has passed. We have collected more cores, and encourage folks to make the trip. No one has ever followed up on seeing any in person or Knapping some, we would be happy to donate for that purpose.

best regards,
        LRE

Comment

Working...
        X