Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithic materials in North Carolina

Hi folks,
    I've been collecting for some 50 years and have some insights on lithics in central N.C.
    The most prolific materials are undoubtedly Quartz and Metavolcanics.I have noted Several varieties of quartz in my collection.There is your "garden-variety" milky quartz, which constitutes most of my quartz finds.Vein quartz is evident in a couple of varieties, one which as the name implies has 'veins' of milky quartz and clear quartz. Another variety known locally as 'Sno-flake' quartz, has the appearance of wet snow on a windshield.This characteristic is apparent when an example is viewed against a light source.Crystal quartz has the appearance of glass and has similar flaking characteristics.While used by most pre-Colombian cultures, it was highly prized by Clovis people.

Metavolcanics encompass a range of metamorphosed igneous rock, most notably rhyolite.Rhyolite, (or meta-rhyolite) is formed in a volcanic environment at or near the earth's surface,usually in volcanic flows.Several varieties are found in N.C. Aphyric rhyolite is fine-grained and often exhibits flow-banding (which is most apparent when weathered).When fresh the color is a dark, almost-black, grey. Weathered examples develop a chalky patina that can be off-white to cake-batter yellow in color. Porphyritic rhyolite is notable for small inclusions or 'specs' of quartz or feldspar in a light to dark grey matrix.It's texture ranges from fine-grained to 'sugary'.Rhyolitic tuff formed not in magma flows but as ash or dust.It has a variable texture and color, ranging from fine-grained to sugary and in various shades of green to light gray in color.The Uwharrie Mountains in south-central N.C., particularly the area around Morrow Mountain, is the source of these varieties of rhyolite. This material is often identified as "silicified slate".

Metasedimentary stone was used to some degree, most notably argillite was occasionally used .The soft nature of this stone and less-than-desirable flaking quality usually precluded its use for other than utillity tools such as choppers.When fresh its color is dark green, otherwise it appears in various shades of light greens and greys. The most notable metasedimentary lithic is green metasiltstone, and is quite rare. It is a very fine-grained, waxy material, comparable to high-grade chert.The color ranges from dark to light lime green. The source of this stone is unknown, but probably in the southern Uwharrie Mountains.

Several varieties of chert were imported from surrounding states, such as coastal plains chert (South Carolina and Georgia), Knox and ridge and valley chert from Tenn., plus a few that are unidentified as to source. Jasper artifacts are present but the stone source remain unknown to date.

That's my take on lithics, hope you find it useful! (Ref.I. Randolph Daniel,(1998) "'Hardaway Revisited")

Welcome Truett!  Very nice post, informative, and I really like your use of quality photos and editing.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Comment

Thanks for the information Truett.  Lithics is my weakest area I believe.    Gary
      South Dakota

Comment

I guess I'm obsessive, but I have to know what it is. LOL!So I research and read all I can.
        Thanks for the nice comments!
        Truett

Comment

Great post Truett thanks for posting.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Very informative! Lot of metavolcanics in New England as well, mostly rhyolite and felsite.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Hmmmmm... I left-out my argillite pic.This is a chopper I found a couple of years ago in SW Wake Co.,N.C. According to my references, the material is composed of alternating layers of clay and silt.The major characteristic of this material is it's graded bedding, usually 15mm or less in thickness, which make it difficult to flake in a predictable fashion. Argillite is a major geological component in the southern Uwharrie Mountains along with greenstone and rhyolite.

Comment

Paleolution wrote:

Welcome Truett!  Very nice post, informative, and I really like your use of quality photos and editing.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!
                   X2

Comment

The secret is to use a black background and take lots of photos. When I get that just right shot, I edit it in Photoshop.
                  For me there's no other way to get good artifact pictures.
                  Thanks!

Comment

What camera and lense do you use?  I cannot get this down pat just yet.  Thanks.

Comment

Truett wrote:

The secret is to use a black background and take lots of photos. When I get that just right shot, I edit it in Photoshop.
                      For me there's no other way to get good artifact pictures.
                      Thanks!
                        Good info Truett. I prefer the black background as well but
                      sometimes have problems when the artifact is a dark color.

Comment

By chance is your Camera a canon powershot? I had a powershot A70 years ago that took the best macro shots I ever shot off hand.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Great info and awesome photographs Truett! I haven't tried the black background but after looking at your pics I will give it a go. Thank you for offering your knowledge, it is much appreciated!
                          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Great thread with lots of info, the pictures and examples are tops. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I enjoyed reading this topic.  A lot of info about NC materials w/ good examples.  Thanks for the help! B)

Comment

Working...
                              X