Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC_Stone_Collector
    replied
    Lol, lens is real dirty too.  I just cleaned it.  It's no big deal, this isn't an real important piece, but it is strange.  It kinda looks like something, you may find on the beach.

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied
    Try cleaning your lens it might not be focusing because of dirty optics.

Leave a comment:

• Truett
    replied
    Can't put my finger on this material.It may well be a silicified slate. The object itself may have been used as a scraper. The stain where you hold it is intriguing.

Leave a comment:

• NC_Stone_Collector
    replied
    I'm using a 3.2 camera on my phone.  It's on the macro setting also.  I tried taking pics with and without the flash.  There is a reflective property so I had to back off more and then I zoomed it in.  I first thought it was a geofact, but one edge looks intentionally flaked.  This object is really flat, the thickness tolerates between 1/16" to 3/16".  Maybe these pics will work out.  Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Truett
    replied
    Need sharper photos. Try using the macro function (flower icon on camera). Yes, slate does fracture as you describe, but most slate items are ground. Argillite has a layered bedding structure, also.You may have a geofact there.Can't say  much more than that based on the photos. What kind of camera are you using?

Leave a comment:

• NC_Stone_Collector
    replied
    Doesn't slate materials break along a smooth, flat plane on both sides like that?

Leave a comment:

• ksrocks
    replied
    Sorry can't see it!
    Joe.

Leave a comment:

• NC_Stone_Collector
    replied
    Lol!  I'm sorry about that.  I tried taking many pics, many different ways, with and without the flash.  These pictures seemed like the best quality.  What you see is basically smooth on both sides.  I only see flaking on one edge.  It has an interesting shape for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Butch Wilson
    replied
    Sorry the pics are a bit fuzzy for my old and tired eyes!

Leave a comment:

• NC_Stone_Collector
    started a topic Please Help Me ID This NC Material

Please Help Me ID This NC Material

Here's some NC material. This arrowhead was found in the Piedmont region. I'm thinking it is Woodland in age. It is really thin also; about 1/16" to 3/16" thick. I've tried to research it a little on my own and I can't figure it out yet. It was purdy hard to get a good pic. It has a slight reflective property, so I backed the camera off and zoomed in. It appears this material cleaves off in a different pattern. I'm not real sure here, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Working...
X