would like to know the material of these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would like to know the material of these

Can anyone give me a material type on these? The board they are sitting on is a 6 inch board just for size reference .

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Doesn't anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I'd say 99% sure the second one is quartzite.  Some of the others might look different inside.  Feel like cracking a couple open?
      New Jersey

Comment

Jeff where are they from? That last one could just be a hunk of slag glass.I agree the second piece may be quartzite. The first one could be Buffalo River. Some folks might be able to help if you let us know where they were found.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I would say that black one is coal based on your location but looks like obsidian also.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Jeff,Forgive me for overlooking the quartzite. The Black one still looks like Knox chert to me.

Comment

Never heard of that. "Learn" something new everyday!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Jeff where are they from? That last one could just be a hunk of slag glass.I agree the second piece may be quartzite. The first one could be Buffalo River. Some folks might be able to help if you let us know where they were found.
                  Hoss they were all found on the river bank here in western Ky.
                Truett  I will look that up to get more info on it.
                The black one one the other side is smooth and shiny ..I will try to get a pic of it.

Comment

Jeff, there is the remote possibility that the black stuff is obsidian. I've seen some that was found in the mountains of N.C., so its not an impossibility. B)

Comment

Josh, "Knox Chert" is a chert variety from eastern Tn and possibly a component of 'Ridge and Valley' cherts from the same area.

Comment

I'm 100 percent sure the black pc is iron slag from an iron furnace.

Comment

are there any old iron furnaces your way?

Comment

Truett wrote:

Jeff, there is the remote possibility that the black stuff is obsidian. I've seen some that was found in the mountains of N.C., so its not an impossibility. B)
                            Truett I looked up knox chert and there is similarities  to what I got but I guess it could be obsidian

Comment

Ghost Digger wrote:

are there any old iron furnaces your way?
                              not real close to where it was found....could you tell me some properties of the iron slag.
                            Looked up iron slag and found no pictures close to looking like this...if you have some or know of website I could look at it I would like that

Comment

Working...
                            X