Red brick like rock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red brick like rock.

I have a question in a recent site I have found, I came across more than twenty pieces of a red brick like rock within this area I have recovered a lot of pottery shards, some tools, along with a bunch of porcelain shards, and two points. I examined but only collected one piece. I will get a pic on here as soon as I can. I could not see any evidence in any piece that would indicate a smooth square edge or holes to say oh yes there's a bunch of bricks here. Has anyone else came across this? Any stab at what it might be would be great.
    The area is mostly sand but still in a plowed field.
    Thanx for any help!
    Proudirishman : )

pics would help, but it sounds like sandstone... "D"

Comment

It's hard to respond without seeing any photos of it, but from your description, it could be red ochre?  Red ochre was used by many cultures, usually relating to burial practices.

Comment

New to the forum just set up account to post pics. I googled the Red Ochre and it appears to match what I've seen as soon as I get a pic ill post to get your guys feedback. Thank again!

Comment

You mention porcelain sherds. The red pieces could very well be brick. Sounds like at one time there may have been a home on the site. Or an area of the land was used to dump the trash created there. Two fields that I walk show signs of a home being there at own time. See historic pottery, brick, glass, siding and other trash.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Here is a photo of what I speaking about .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-05-09 [replaced].jpg
Views:	722
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	212061

Comment

Not familiar with red Ochre, but the pic looks like the sandstone we have down here in the lower Mississippi valley...

Comment

Mystery is solved. I met with one of the old timers, and he said that there used to be an old homestead on that site. He also stated that an archeological group came in years ago and escavated the site. And recovered a lot if artifacts that he was able to see.
                Good ground to work. They didn't find everything lol : ) the site is still producing.

Comment

A couple months back I found a site that had recently been pushed up by a dozer and i found a lot of shards and a few complete arrowheads as well as a few strange shaped rock creations that had definitely been worked. In the same area i found a bunch of rocks that were red and they were kind of brittle, when I would break them apart it was a beautiful dark red and I also had no idea what it was. Maybe its the same thing you found? I will pick up a few and take some pics the next time I get back to the site.

Comment

Brenden from what I have read, and have talked to an archeologist here near me. Depending on the area in which you live see the above reply to this topic about the red ochre culture. It was very specific on the area, and the red rock is a hematite. In my case after talking to locals near the site, there was a homestead on the site that I am working. It's a case of homestead on top of earlier Native American camp site.

Comment

Working...
                    X