My Haunted Celt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Haunted Celt

Well, not really of course. But the material behaves oddly. When first found, the side in the first photo was face up. The wide green stripe was present, but it was the darkest evergreen and nearly blended with the surrounding color, which was black, as it is on the other side. I think the material is in the serpentine family, which seems soft for a tool. Anyway, I put it in a frame with the side seen in the first photo face down, because I thought the beat up bit looked better that way, i.e., as seen in the last photo. A few days later, I took it out, turned it over, and the stripe was now bright green, rather then dark evergreen, with all new green areas as well! "Wow, now that's weird, but pretty, I'll display it that way" thinks I. So I do, and days later all the green is gone except for a dark evergreen stripe, it had gone back to how it looked the day I found it. Huh? So "nice" side down it went again, and sure enough the color came back. If I want it to stay that nice color, that side has to be face down, so that side is not exposed to light, and so it is. Mood celt? :blink: :rolf:

At 11/2 inches, it's a miniature celt and was nicely fashioned.
    Last edited by CMD; 04-25-2020, 06:34 PM.
    Rhode Island

:S idk, but it's cool looking, I'm sure Roger will let us know...

Comment

Well Charlie, it seams when I lay down to go to sleep, the snot runs to the side I am sleeping on! Maybe its a snot celt? :crazy:  :crazy:  :rolf:
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase wrote:

Well Charlie, it seams when I lay down to go to sleep, the snot runs to the side I am sleeping on! Maybe its a snot celt? :crazy:  :crazy:  :rolf:
          Hmm, think I'd take haunted over that theory, chase :crazy:  I sleep on my back
        Rhode Island

Comment

A function of light and material I guess. at least 3 celts made from the material came from the same field, this being one...
          Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie try wetting it I mean soaking it and see if it stays teh way it is or changes back to what it looked like when you found it.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I read of dig finds doing this, maybe the air? Some Old Spirits. :S
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

How very interesting Charlie. Assuming that this is not the result of viewing the item in different lighting conditions (for example, pyrope garnet will appear blue-green in sunlight and purple-red under a domestic lightbulb) or pleochroism (where the colour depends on the angle of view), or the effect of movement of moisture under gravity, then it has to be one of two things.
                Possibility one is “thermocroism” – whereby, a change in temperature results in a reversible change of colour. The upper surface will normally be the warmer surface (especially if the room has sunlight). Virtually all inorganic compounds are thermocroic to some extent but it’s not normally apparent to the naked eye. But I don’t know of any naturally-occurring minerals where the transition temperature is lower than 47 degrees Celcius. Pyrope garnet again exhibits this property for example, but at a transition temperature of 80 degrees Celcius.
                (Note that a “mood ring” is thermocroic but that’s essentially a man-made liquid-crystal thermometer with a fake gemstone glued on top to disguise it.)
                I think we’re in the second possibility. “Tenebrescence” - also known as “reversible photochromism” whereby the colour change is the result of sunlight.  This effect is the principle behind self-adjusting sunglasses, which darken on exposure to sunlight and also “girly” nail varnishes which change colour in the sun… but the materials used there are synthetic.
                There are relatively few natural minerals which are tenebrescent. Some members of the sodalite family (such as hackmanite and tugtupite) exhibit it quite strongly. The colour change is normally from white/colourless to purple-red after exposure. Spodumene (a lithium-rich silicate) also exhibits the property, changing from white/colourless to green. There is a variety of spodumene called hiddenite which is emerald green to begin with, so I would guess that might go even darker green on exposure.
                It’s the ultra-violet part of the spectrum that initiates the change and most glass doesn’t let too much of that through, so you may find it takes rather longer to show any effect than would be the case without glass. The phenomenon can be repeated indefinitely, but is normally permanently destroyed by heating.
                There are plenty of spodumene sources in your area – it normally occurs in pegmatite rocks:

[pic from mindat]
                There’s a source for hiddenite in New Hampshire (Cheshire Co.) and a cluster of localities in the top end of North Carolina (Alexander Co.)
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks for your ideas, guys. And thanks for the information, Roger. I've left it out of direct light for years now. It's good to know it's reversible, but after the first time, I didn't want to chance losing the color again. Wish I'd taken a "before" photo. That's a pretty cool trait! I imagine there's a chance the native might have noted it by chance as well. Very interesting!
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Good post and thanks for the info Roger.
                    Still like Chase's thought the best though!
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

B) sure is a beauty!
                      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                      X