my 11 year old taught me about flint today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 11 year old taught me about flint today

I was looking at some rocks trying to get some flint ones together to send them to someone. I had one I picked up on the river the other day. I took it outside and broke it in half to see if it was flint. My daughter who is 11 years old said....Daddy you can rub it with another rock and if it smells like smoke its flint. I said where did you learn that. She said We had a wildlife officer come to our school and she told us that. So I tried it and it works ( doesn't smell like smoke but like striking a match). I tried this method on a few rocks some I knew were flint and some I knew wasn't. And the rock doesn't even have to be busted open it works just as well on the rind of the rock. So now thanks to her I can find flint rocks without busting them open. :woohoo:
    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Interesting Jeffery, will have to try that out. Tell your daughter thanks for the info.

Comment

HMMMMMMM, I always wondered why they call arrowheads a smokin collection Now I know. :whistle:  :whistle:  :crazy:
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Onandaga Flint from NY when broken smells like crude oil. Here is a link.

This is true too! I knew a knapper that showed me this years ago while he was making a point out of Onandaga.
        PS that page is a good resource for you North Eastern hunters curious about New York Lithics
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Never heard of that, but it makes sense. I'll have to try it out as well. Isn't it amazing how much we can learn from our children if we just listen!

Comment

Working...
          X