Rhode Island Ground Slate Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhode Island Ground Slate Point

Some information here is duplicated in the "New Hampshire" thread....
    Basically, there are two traditions of ground slate technology appearing in the Middle-Late Archaic in the Northeast. This technology may have originated in the Maritime Archaic region of Maine, specifically the so-called Moorehead Phase. Large slate bayonets were interred with the dead. This is generally restricted to a short section of the Maine coast where the Moorhead Phase flourished.
    So the Maritime Archaic used ground slate for fish and sea mammal hunting. Many of their stemmed points show a series of notches on the stem.
    Now, there is another phase of the Laurentian Tradition Archaic, present in interior New England away from the coast, that produced ground slate projectiles. Many mimic the smaller(under 12 cm.) slate points from coastal Maine. But the Vergennes Phase of the Laurentian Tradition( which tradition, btw, included the Brewerton Phase as well) produced ground slate points whose use and styles spread throughout the interior Northeast. The chipped stone projectiles associated with the Archaic Vergennes Phase was the Otter Creek Point. Here are typical Otter Creek points from coastal Rhode Island. Largest found by member Jay(Onewiththewild)

So, Otter Creek points of the Middle-Late Archaic were produced during the period of the Northeast Laurentian Tradition(a tradition that also included the Brewerton family of points) known as the Vergennes Phase. And in this phase, probably influenced by ground slate technology from the Moorehead Phase of the Maritime Archaic in Maine, ground slate projectiles, knives, ulus, etc became part of that Archaic toolkit. Here, from Willoughby's "Antiquities of the New England Indians"1935) are illustrations of Vergennes Phase ground slate points from Vermont, many with notches ground into the stem. Eskimos made similar stems, btw.

Here is a rare example from Rhode Island of a ground and polished slate point of the Vergennes Phase, just under 5" in length. The rough parches resemble ancient damage, but the blade may have been resharpened on the edge after that damage, can't be sure. The stem, as is often typical, has a series of ground in notches.

Notched stem:

Rhode Island

Rhode Island

Comment

This is a good thread.
      Here is a Ground Arrowhead size point I found here last summer. First one I have encountered.

Comment

First time I saw that one Charlie is that in your collection? Just awesome man. Joel cool little slate point there shame about the broke tip.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss wrote:

First time I saw that one Charlie is that in your collection? Just awesome man. Joel cool little slate point there shame about the broke tip.
            Yes, Hoss, recently added. Brought it home to RI   it will be one of those pieces I'll appreciate the longer I own it
          Nice point, Joel!
          Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the info and pictures.
            Hey Joel, That's a great find. I couldn't help myself: I had to try and see what it looked like whole.

Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

That's a beauty have yet to find any ground pieces that have the curved face on them.So far everything has been pretty flat and hexagonal...Hoping someday to find awhole bayonette but its not up to me....mjm

Comment

Working...
              X