Heading to Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Kansas

Greetings folks. I'm a new member but have a lifelong interest in arrowheads. My collection is pretty small but nobody loves hunting them more than I do
    I'll be heading to Kansas next week and will be about half way between Kansas City and Wichita. Are there any Kansas hunters here? I thought I'd walk some farmland around rivers and creeks and see if anything turns up. My hunting has pretty much been limited to the southern states so any comments or advice will be appreciated
    ~Sam

Welcome Sam
    I know Kansas has been good to me lately there is alot of variety of flint and points here. when im not sure were to go hunt some times ill just drive and find a creek to jump in. it usually works. we had some flash flooding up here so alot of creeks are good now.
    good luck
    Travis

Comment

Hi Travis. Thanks for your reply. All the hunting I've ever done has been walking dirt roads and plowed fields near creeks and rivers. I've never actually hunted in a creek or on its bank.  Can I assume that's one of your main methods of hunting arrowheads? I've seen youtube videos where some nice finds are made in creeks amongst the rocks and pebbles. Just curious if that's a good way to hunt in Kansas. Of course it's takes a good eye to pick out chipped rock when it's surrounded by other rocks

Comment

Sam never hunted the area your talking about, do know there's things on the Walnut river out of Eldorado lake. Thats close to Wichita.

Comment

Most of my points come out of creeks and rivers i enjoy the scenery. I would say if its a good sized creek that is spring fed, and it could support life all year round then chances are good. i am not an expert by any means ive only been collecting for a few years. i do have a few nice ones. Every thing rolls down hill. field are good, but a heavy rain or flash flood and they get in the creek.
          Good luck out there.
          I look forward to hear about the trip and see some pics
          Travis

Comment

Thanks Spanky -and- Travis. Eldorado State Park is about 46mi from Emporia which is where I'll be staying for a week. That's certainly within driving distance. I'll be working so I'll only be able to hunt a few evenings and most of day on Sunday. I know there are some creeks around where I'll be so hopefully I'll find something worthy of a photo

Comment

Sam I forgot you need to look up Cottonwood river in Chase county, Only hunted this field twice and then it changed hands but you wouldn't belive how thick the artifacts were. Everywhere you stepped was something worked or broken. Call me at 785-223-1536 Whats yours so i answer it. best to call after 7pm.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X