X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engraved Maine Pendant

Engraved Maine Pendant
    Posted by [CMD ]:

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

This little slate pendant was part of a large collection from Maine acquired by old time Ma. collector George Barton prior to 1963. Most of the collection was from Norridgewock, a 17th century Abnaki village on the Kennebec River. Quite a few were contact period trade goods. My gut feeling, and it's no more then that, is that this pendant is late prehistoric or even contact period. But maybe it's older. Anyway, perhaps the pendant was worn by a member of the Turtle clan?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-03.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	201322

The other side. Sun and star?

Name:	image_2013-12-03-2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	201323

5 lines comprise the star:

Name:	image_2013-12-22.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	201324

There was no exact context with the collection and I don't have any way to really date this piece. One of the small pendants from the collection had what looked like an engraving of a meeting house with a cross. Most have guessed that to be a contact period piece, but otherwise I don't imagine they can be dated with any precision.

Showing the hole from both sides:

Name:	image_2013-12-03-3.jpg
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	201325

Name:	image_2013-12-03-4.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	201326

Posted by [greywolf22]:
    That is a neat artifact. Love that turtle. Looks like hole was made using a hollow reed, with sand mixed with water.
    Jack

Posted by [Hoss]:
    Charlie I find it interesting these both have 9 segments to the shell

Name:	grovgoug_0271-20110805.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	201327

Found in Connecticut
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X