X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Paleo Lances

New England Paleo Lances
    Posted by [CMD]:

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2012 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Paleo weekend here. Two friends stopped by with local found paleo points. I posted the cool find by forum member JMatt elsewhere. On Saturday a friend stopped by with lances I hadn't seen in about 20 years, found about 40 years ago in RI.

This first one has the top half restored, not professional obviously, but restored by William Fowler, one of the greatest artifact illustrators who ever took pen to paper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FreindsCollection018.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	201329

Name:	FreindsCollection020.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	201330

Two small early lances. The longer one was found in a stream and shows extreme water-wear.

Name:	FreindsCollection021.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	201331

Name:	FreindsCollection022.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	201332

Bill Moody of Martha's Vineyard felt the above points would classify as either Ste-Anne-Varney points, which are interpreted as an eastern version of Eden points, or simply untyped Late Paleo lances. He was also of the opinion that these next 2 unifacial quartzite bases, found by me next to each other at a site that yielded one Hardaway Side-Notch and several Hardaway-Daltons were also very likely Late Paleo Lance Bases. Both have a natural twist bevel to the blade, and, given how I found them, might have been made by the same individual.

Name:	EarlyBases001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	201333

Name:	EarlyBases002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	201334

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [cgode]:
    Sweet points for these parts!.....I gotta take a look at my frame now.....you have me thinking.

What do ya think Charlie, have I pulled a "CMD" refind??

The point on the left is the one in question.....material,patina,form......a little small though???
    The JR base was found a couple of days ago and the stemmed point on the right was this morning, not sure on type? The left one was found a few years ago......maybe?

Name:	_DSC5970.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	201336

Posted by [CMD]:
    cgode wrote:
    What do ya think Charlie, have I pulled a "CMD" refind??
    The point on the left is the one in question.....material,patina,form......a little small though???
    The JR base was found a couple of days ago and the stemmed point on the right was this morning, not sure on type? The left one was found a few years ago......maybe?

Well, ours are pretty small. I'm not sure, maybe I need to re-find it myself before I can tell.

Could have been a tall triangle. Or maybe an untyped early lance! Not sure, but what else is new! Maybe you pulled a me.

Stemmed point is cool. Merrimack? Maybe.

Posted by [Hoss]:
    Chris Basal does the broken triangle have an basal grinding?
    It would be the easiest way to separate it from woodland.
    I am with Charlie Merrimack would be a good call on that point.
    Charlie thanks for the show. excellent information and pictures.

Posted by [cgode]:
    Thanks Charlie, maybe I did pull the now infamous "CMD" re-find.....lol

Matt, no way to tell if there was any basal grinding, too much water wear on this one.

Posted by [G10]:
    glad U had some luck this morning Chris, congrats on your finds buddy
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [CMD]:
      Likely Late Paleo, semi-crystalline quartz. From Deerfield, Ma.

Name:	image_2013-11-27-17.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	201338

Comment

Working...
      X