• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sneakygroundbuzzard View Post
    if Paul says it,then i would absolutely believe it

if Rodger says it and agrees,then you can bet your bottom dollar on it

two very intelligent guys right there that know their stuff
    Rodger is the guy one this site,that the rest of go to for verification on such things
    probably the smartest guy i have never met

ive learned more on this site from them two guys than i ever thought was possible

Thanks for your confidence!

These kinds of features are not uncommon. Since they're often present on large prominent rocks (and also sometimes in multiples on larger slabs) and also a fortuitous shape they may well have seen use for grinding purposes. That is, the hole may exhibit some use-wear, despite having originally been made by mother nature. Prominent rocks like this also served as useful navigational points since they are frequently isolated and unmistakable in an otherwise unremarkable landscape... and that was true through to historic times, by both Native Americans and early settlers. There are lots of examples in various parts of America that acquired names like "Indian Rock", whether they had any association to Native Americans or not.

In fact, there used to be a large boulder in central Georgia that I would guess was also a glacial erratic which served as a "post office". It was the only large boulder in the vicinity and had a cleft in one side where stage coaches used to leave the mail. The township there came to be named "The Rock" since that's how the mail used to be addressed. The township still exists, but the rock itself was dynamited to make way for a highway some years ago.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      I thank you also for the kind words of confidence. And I will admit, Rodger is extremely educated and knowledgeable, just give me about another year or so, and I'll know as much as he does!! Just kidding! I do get a sense of accomplishment when I can help some one else, which in turn makes their collecting experiences must more pleasurable. I just don't know why Rodger feels like he always has to get here before me!!

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      I would like to hear more about the large boulder in central Georgia that may have been a glacial erratic. My google search shows a place called The Rock to be almost as far south as Macon. The other searches I've done do not show any indication of glaciation in Georgia. or anywhere else in the southern Appalachians.

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Since my previous comment I searched for more info about The Rock, Georgia and all confirms the history as you reported. However, I could find no other mention to other such rocks, how large it was, etc. or how it may have been located there in the Georgia piedmont. It would seem logical that if glaciers were ever in the area more evidence than one large (and how big was it?) boulder would be present. I just feel the need for more info before I accept the idea of glacial erratics in the Georgia piedmont. I normally would offer a counter to your guess but at this point, I can't. Since this is a collector forum and not a geology forum I suppose I shouldn't need to see rigorous proofs of statements pertaining to geology but because Paul made the assertion and you seem to support the assertion then I would like to have more evidence for the statement that goes counter to all I thought I knew about the geology of the general area where I lived for so many years (north AL and TN) and I can't find support for it in the literature. If I am wrong (and that is frequently the case) then I want to know that I am and want to be shown that. So far I have not. Just trying to get at the facts, that's all.

Thanks guys for your input and expertise.

Comment

Just a small observation guys - most of the "glacial erratics" show under cutting while this rock appears to be gradually rounded to the bottom. I can understand how rocks/sand could wear a trough on the low side of the hole as the water washed the material out. Interesting stuff guys. Hoss thanks for providing the visuals. ..Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Essex says the boulder is about 20 yards from where the two creeks meet. Seems to me without seeing the site that the explanation of it being a creek boulder makes more sense than being carried there by a glacier. I would particularly like to know what kind of rock is the boulder and if there are nearby sources of the same kind of rock or parent formation. As to the bowl and the groove, I guess that is the real question being asked and at this point without seeing it then I would not bet my next month's retirement check that it was either man made or mother nature made, although my first guess was to agree with Paul on that score.

Comment

Water does crazy things to the land and rocks! From a convenience point alone, this bowl being man made makes little sense. Just think about it, who's overworked wife is going to climb a boulder everyday before she makes supper? The channel in front would be mighty awkward to have chiseled or pecked out being so high off the ground also, not that it couldn't be done just why?
          As for how the boulder got there I don't know. What is the terrain like? Back in the mountains of Ky, big stand alone boulders are common. I'd even go so far to say that those nice round holes are common. I've seen dozens of them, even on mountaintops with no water source close by.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
          X