Pickwick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickwick

Traded this from a friend this morning. I love the Pickwick points. Frankiln TN It is a bluish grey Chert with heavy caliche on one side. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	210825
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	210826
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Very nice indeed !

Comment

Awesome! I like the Pickwick type too! That's a nice example with the classic Pickwick shape.
      I'm starting to think these Tennessee types are rubbing off on you! Lol. I know they have me, five years ago you wouldn't have found one Tennessee point in my frame, now they account for probably half lol.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Very nice piece.

Comment

Hi Matt, Yes, a nice Pickwick you have there and it seems to be fairly typical of the size and form. Wondering about the caliche on one side makes me wonder as to the type of site it was found on.Caliche on one side, nada on the other. ??? Of course that phenomenon is not real unusual from my experience but I still wonder about it.

Comment

The buildup happens over time with the point getting wet then rapid drying over and over which leaves a thin layer of mineral crust each time . Over a long period of time it builds up . If the ventral was in mud and dorsal exposed only the dorsal would get the buildup. Thank you for the compliment Joe. I appreciate it. Once I get it into the frame with mo y other Pickwicks I will post new pictures. This one here is Buffalo Rover flint Click image for larger version

Name:	pickwick.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	210874
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the caliche explanation. And thanks again for showing another really dandy Pickwick. Pickwicks, when not worn down by repetitive resharpening are frequently so uniform in appearance that when the eye is accustomed to their form that they are like Decaturs and Lost Lakes ins the sensee of they are just almost impossible to mis-ID..

Pretty pretty !
            east Tx.

Comment

Love it Hoss. Ive got 4 busted Pickwick bases but not a whole one yet! Awesome point type.

Comment

Sweet point Matt. what did you give up for the trade?
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would rather not say Bruce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	210926

Comment

Matt, Some more really dandy Pickwicks you got there. I have an image of a few Pickwicks that I scanned with my old flat-bed scanner before I sold them off that I'll try to show you. I think I did show these a year or so ago shortly after I joined the forum. After I had already scanned them I decided that the one on the right on the bottom row was not a Pickwick but more likely a McIntire. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pickwick points.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	210938

Comment

• Hoss
                    Hoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those are awesome Joe thanks for sharing them again

They are a nice type. Thanks for sharing
                  South Dakota

Comment