Copena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copena

I know it is hard to tell from this picture but this point does have a waist. Dover Chert Copena one of the largest I have seen. West TN This one has Caliche on it as well. It was from the Kit Carson museum auction. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941 copy.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	210928
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

That's nice Hoss.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hey Hoss - will that caliche come off or is it considered permanent. Really nice ..Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hi Matt. Nice Copena you have there. As you probably know, it doesn't have to have a waist to be one of the Copena varieties. Cambron, in his book, describes a Copena triangular which this one may more closely fit (if one is inclined to be a "splitter" as opposed to a "lumper"). Overstreet and at least one other internet source I have quick access to also shows a Copena rounded base. In my old collection, I IDed 32 definite Copenas total of the 3 forms that went away with the new owner. BTW, what can you tell me about the Kit Carson Museum auction? I plead total ignorance on that subject.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 05-31-2016, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I do not know much about that Joe only that the auction company attributed the artifacts to Kit Carsons museum.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

You acquired a nice one there Matt.

Comment

Those are very nice. Thanks for sharing
              South Dakota

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Gary it is both sides of one point. I photoshopped it. The small corner disappeared on the right side picture for some reason. I bid on that one and was really happy when I received it in hand. Going back over my records I found this one was not from Kit Carson. It is Ex Randy Walker a collector from OH.

Nice Copena man! I like them big lanceolate blades, I'm sure they looked wicked when hafted into a handle. I've got Copena on my wish list for sure! Thanks for showing us!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Josh, It's funny I too was picturing that blade hafted up in the ancient manner.

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                That's often my first thoughts when looking at a new blade or knife Ron, " boy I wonder what that haft and handle looked like?"

Hey Matt, Your Four inch Dover Copena is a beautiful knife.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
              X