The Great July Arrowhead Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great July Arrowhead Expedition

After my last excursion to the Shangri-la of artifact hunting known as Limestone County, TX, I immediately began planning for the next.  I knew that it would take some sacrifice, so I agreed to help my wife redo our dining room (she is a total Home Improvement junkie!!) as I began planning a two day excursion with my friends.  We decided to leave about 3 o'clock from Greenville, get there about 6:30, and hit a couple of sites before dark, then spend the night and launch the boat at dawn the next day and hit it with a vengeance!  Royce Reed joined me, and Roy drove down from Antlers, and my friend Jerry met us there that evening.
      Water had dropped nearly a foot in two weeks, which made launching the Water Falcon a bit of a chore.  But we did get underway and managed to find a small shoal that I used to hunt on years ago, now mostly out of the water.  We started grubbing at nearly seven and didn't head back out until the sun was more than halfway below the horizon.  Roy found a rough Perdiz, Royse got a nice little Neches River, and I found these:

It was a promising start!
    The next day we were in the water before 6:30 and gunning down to one of the main sites.  Royse had the hot hand early, finding three in the first hour or so.  I got a couple, and Jerry got one there.  Then we headed to one of my favorite spots, a very boggy mud flat with tons of fine flakes and pottery shards.  I hammered them there, finding five points and a drill, and Jerry got a very nice, narrow dart point drill. Royse didn't score there, and I had dropped Roy off at a beach that he wanted to walk on the way - though as it turned out, we weren't where he thought we were and he found nothing there.  Then we went to one of the big sites and grubbed awhile - found nothing in our screens, but then surface hunted four walking back to the boat.  We decided to go back to the spot that we had started on the previous evening, and Jerry and I each got a nice bird point there.  We finished the day up at a site in the timber, where Royse found a nice little Dawson and a metate, and Jerry and I each got a nice nutting stone.  All told, the day's haul looked like this:

Royse's finds - the point on the left was a beautiful clear amber color when wet; it dried to almost snow white.

Here is a backlit picture of it.  It seemed more translucent when wet, too.  Still gorgeous.  I think it's a Delhi.

Jerry's finds.  The Perdiz is a scorcher, and the sidenotched point/drill is heavily ground and very well made.

Our combined haul.

Roys' finds.  He was really hoping for a killer arrowpoint and was pretty disappointed at not getting one, but I kinda like the biggest point he got.

Here are all of my points for the second day. 
    All in all, about 28 countable points, plus a metate and two nutters.  It was a fun outing, but VERY hot!  Can't wait to get back!!!

Great haul Lewis! Warm and balmy 105?

Comment

What a great couple of days. Very nice finds.

Comment

Thanks guys!  It was a fun outing.
        Yeah, it was kinda warmish, but as long as we were in the water, it wasn't too bad.  When we got out - then it was pretty HOT!!

Comment

Nice finds thanks for sharing the pics! That translucent point is incredible.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

No doubt! What a great two day hunt! Congratulations!

Comment

Great post Lewis!  Looks like you had a wonderful time and found some killers to boot.  Also, thank you for saving my morning, I was starting to get very disgusted with this board.

Comment

I am just right down the road from Greenville. I spent the whole day there today working. I'd love to be able to go hunting with y'all. I've got a couple spots I would be willing to trade off to go with y'all. I want to be part of the expedition!
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X