Few from the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few from the weekend

This is a neat lil point despite missing the tip. It is made from an interesting material that i took pics of magnified.

This is a nice lil uniface knife I found. I really like this type of artifact, it is well made and made from good material.

Comment

• OBION
      OBION commented
      Editing a comment
      love that material

This big blade is missing a corner of the base from what appears freeze fracturing. Either way it is a good piece.

Comment

Dandy finds. That first piece has an Adena-ish look.

Comment

• p kurt
        p kurt commented
        Editing a comment
        I lean towards Dickson type point , coach.

Nice finds that first point looks a little like Harrodsburg to me.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I bought this one some years back it was described as a Hardin but I had doubts and did some research on my own and I feel now it is an Apple Creek point It is made of Harrodsburg Chert. This one is from Pike Co. IL. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	244835
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• p kurt
          p kurt commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks hoss, I looked up your call on chert and it looks like you nailed that one! I have found a few points made of that material but not many. I agree with you on your point it dose not look like a Hardin. Looks late archaic at oldest to me. It has a buck creek look to me but matches the Apple creek outline, nice point no matter. Thanks for the input

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Being out of the KY area Buck Creek had not crossed my mind but I think you may be right. It is a beautiful point in hand.

All nice finds. The big blade is a beauty and the small knife looks like it may have been used as a scraper too. Cool
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice finds, I thought the magnification was a ball until I went back and re read the thread.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• p kurt
            p kurt commented
            Editing a comment
            Willjo it was hard to take the pics. Trying to get cell phone lense lined up and focused was tough. I will try it again sometime

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            The photos looked good to me, I was not complaining about them.

Those are cool finds Kurt! I especially like that bigger blade despite it being broke. Thanks for sharing!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

A little off the subject, but since you posted a micro photograph, it reminds me of what I advise collectors who are buying a lot of artifacts. The best investment you can make before you buy the next artifact, is a microscope. For less than the price of many quality artifacts, or about $200, a good scope is a necessity in this hobby. And then all there is to do, is take a little time and learn what to look for under the scope. What you should see, or in many cases, what you shouldn't see on the surfaces. I have a 10x-20x-40x-60x, and I have saved thousands over the years by identifying fakes, repros, alterations, etc.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• p kurt
              p kurt commented
              Editing a comment
              Paul my wife bought me that scope few years back and it is neat for all kinds of cool stuff. My family has drug in all sorts of stuff to investigate. Off the top of my head I believe it is a stereoscope. I don't use it for purchasing but it is neat to check out artifacts in different light. I agree everyone should get one.

I just had a collector send me a small axe he bought at an antique shop, and it's not visible to the naked eye, but under the scope you can see copper or brass residue deposits. Meaning someone polished the surface and groove with a brass bristle wheel. It's takes a scope to see it, and now he can take it back and maybe get his money back. Here's a micro photo showing the residue. It appears as all those gold colored flecks and residue Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06455.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	245007 .

Comment

I think the material of the first point you posted is breccia. That is a type of conglomerate rock , but composed of several different minerals in small inclusions that make up the matrix. Some forms of breccia are so compact, and will contain silica minerals, and this can be used for making artifacts.

Comment

Working...
              X