Adze or Celt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adze or Celt?

I found this in April. Most have called this a celt but has the attributes of an adze and a celt? I call it an adze.....???? Any opinions???????????? :blink:

Come on Mark we need more pics of the Baby! I would call it very nice either way.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Pictures are deceiving Ray, This one looks like an adze from the side but celt straight on. Dont really care what it is cause its my only hardstone find. As Tom says....Axe!!!

Comment

Last pic dont show it but 100% flat till it gets to bit.

Comment

I'm with Tom, nice, personal find, axe! or adelt
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

My vote is for an Adz Yeah I am with Charlie on the  :woohoo:    :woohoo:
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have to say I like looking at it!  (Either, Or)  Very nice, Mark.  The stone is beautiful.  Especially in what I think is the second photo.
              It's the fourth photo!!!

Comment

Very pretty material. Nice polish.  I see what you mean about it being hard to call.  In the first photo it does look like an adze configuration.  If you look at the leading edge straight on, if the bit has a slight bow or curvature to it, that would confirm usage as an adze.  A straight leading edge usually indicates celt, but I can see calling it an adze based on the first photo.  Great find either way and I would have gone :woohoo: if I saw it laying at my feet.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Kinda like a "twenner"! By the way.....We kicked a## today!! Almost hit double digits, got 9! Waiting for sun to come out to take pic. Some wild material too!!! Found all in about 40 minutes. I LOVE THIS SPOT!

Comment

Definitely a nice big adz Turkey - great material!
                    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Mark, after looking at this for several times and thanks for the extra pics, I say you call it what you want. It is a nice piece and a special find.
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Uh oh, you done opened up a big ol' can o worms with that one. Celt is a generic term for what could be a Adze, or either a ungrooved axe. On a axe the bit would be symetrical with both sides tapered at the same angle meeting in the center. A Adze will have a steeper taper on one side meeting off the center line. I think you gotta Adze. Tom, where are you ?  :unsure:
                        Butch

Comment

Working...
                        X