Ste. Anne-Varney Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ste. Anne-Varney Points

This is a point type found in the northeast and eastern Canada.  They have been interpreted as an eastern form of the Eden point, and date Late Paleo/Early Archaic.  At the Varney site in Maine they were found in a context dated at about 10,600 BP.  Both these examples, not personal finds, were found on the North River in Plymouth Co., Ma.  The first is a maroon rhyolite or felsite, not quite sure which, and the 2nd one is felsite.

Rhode Island

Nice points! I think I have a smaller one. How small are they typed at? I fave a point with a narrow shape like that. Appears to be Quartzite. It is a MA find 1 and 11/16" long 11/16" wide. Basal edges and base feel ground I can post a pic if you want to see it? Mine is banged up a bit.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Matt, I think I have one or 2 smaller quartzite ones with ground base and edges also.  But, have only ever seen a few.  The "quick referance guide" in Boudreau's book shows a shouldered one near identical to my 2nd photo. I believe the photos elsewhere in that guide are lifesize.  In the old MAS typology, they're called Eden-Like and described as having collateral flaking which the above examples display to a degree.
      Overstreet describes them as small to medium, but I don't know the size range from personal experience. Feel free to post a pic but they are pretty rare and I've only seen a few so I may not be of much help.  The larger one shown here was shown in the Ma. issue of the ASAA Journal in 2003, and in both cases, these were ID'd for me by experienced folks rather then ID'd by myself.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Love the color on that first one! Nice relics Charlie!

Comment

Pretty points, that rhyolite or felsite is a nice material.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Your second picture looks a lot like the one in the A New England Typology book in the quick reference guide. I wish they posted that picture on the page with the others.

This one is very thin. I don't know why quartzite is so difficult to get pictures of the flake scars. This one looks more random but Quartzite is like that. Base and edges are ground to the shoulders. only 1 and 5/8" long 11/16" wide
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice stuff Charlie, Thanks for sharing.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Matt, your quartzite point looks like a possible paleo lance.  Thanks for sharing.
                Rhode Island

Comment

Nice information, nice points.
                  Jack

Comment

Nice set of points there bro...  I really like the second one.  Good photo too.  Has a very distinctive flaking pattern to it.
                    ~Noah

Comment

Working...
                    X