NC Palmer dart points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Palmer dart points

Went down to Cartersville Saturday for the Etowah show hosted by my friend Lee Forsythe. Sorry I had a table and was alone so I did not get much opportunity to take pictures. I was able to acquire these nice Palmer points though. I will take pics with scale a little later still recovering from traveling down there . Left here 4 AM Saturday got back home at 8 PM . That is a pretty full day in my book. 7 of those hours were spent driving. Palmer points are early archaic darts these came before Lecroy and after Dalton. I love these little critters. The quartz ones are awesome! I hope you all enjoy the pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	252537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	252538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	252539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	252540
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Sometimes you find that little streak f white in that Knox Chert. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	252542
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hoss, this is one really pretty point!!

This one I got from my friend Bob Reeves he is the Volunteer State Archeological Society of TN state editor. Bob found this one and was hard pressed to let it go. It may be a Kirk because it is a little bigger than other palmers I have seen but Kirk and Palmer both date earlier than Lecroy in this area. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	252544

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      This one is a TN find not a NC find.

Nice score on those . I like the gentle curves on the second one.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I love Palmers thanks for showing those beauties! My favorite find is my crystal Palmer well on most days. The white in that Knox chert is killer!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Those are nice Hoss, and that little white streak makes the one very nice.
        South Dakota

Comment

Agree with the streak , it makes it pop. But it looks as though it has a white tip too. Neat dart points.

Comment

Those are some mean little buggers. Would have loved to watch the makers hunt with them. Great acquisitions

Comment

Hey Matt, You sure picked up some real beauties. loving the lithics too.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Yes sir very very nice !!!!
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

Those are great finds. It's amazing how that black chert shows up in collections from the eastern part of NC. According to many it's not suppose to be there but it is. I don't believe its imported material because it's not found in the piedmont just east of the mountains where Tennessee chert points are found. After the discovery of black chert just off Wrightsville Beach it makes sense. I buy every piece I find when my wife and I travel down east.

Von
                  Last edited by Von; 06-12-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Hi Matt. Some dandy Palmers for sure. IMO Palmers and Kirks were made by the same folks/same period with Palmers being used as dart points and Kirks for knife points.

Comment

Man I'm loving this thread! I have one really good example and a few more broken examples or rougher examples. When I think of Early Archaic in eastern Tn I think of the Palmer type. I'm not going to ramble to much even though i could go on and on the Palmer type and the ocurence of the Kirk type in General here in Tennesssee.I'm still waiting to see that book dedicated to just the Kirk type alone here in the southeast. I generally think of Kirk and Palmer as one in the same although there is distinguishable differences between small type Kirks and Palmers. Maybe it is as Joe states and one is a knife and one is a dart. There is still much I would like to understand about the Kirk/Palmer phase and how it manifested here and how that varys from other areas were small type Kirks appear, because in my observations our area is unique in that aspect.

Anyways ill share my best example I picked up from a Tennessee collection. This one is more in the Knox grey Chert Spectrum. Seems the further west you travel away from the Smokies towards the Tennessee river the more grey Knox you see opposed to that deep black knox.

Really like those examples you shared Matt, especially that white streaked one. If I ever find a place to go pick.up those cobbles I'm going to be the happiest knapper alive! Btw from what I hear and read your in the right area to do that. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170121_191707-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	252650

Last edited by Kyflintguy; 06-13-2017, 02:45 AM.
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                        Kyflintguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Joe! can't wait to dig into that.

• Hoss
                        Hoss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you SailorJoe

• Hoss
                        Hoss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Josh that is a beautiful point for sure. Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking at these quartz ones they seem similar in style to Hardaway to me. The bases are ground smooth across the proximal edge and up right into the notches. All beveled and super serrations on these.

Comment

Id say your right in your observation Matt, seems to me that in NC (Here in east Tn too) you have this overlap of Kirk, Palmer and Hardaway... I had a point a while back maybe I can find a pic that was from here in east Tn ( Roane co.) that was like a Kirk/Hardaway hibrid. I think in our region those types were definitely intertwined in all combinations (Hardy-Palmer, Kirk -Palmer, Hardy-Kirk) lol. If that makes sense... Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_170714-1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	253407
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                          Kyflintguy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm sorry if I got off track with this pic, but I felt like it's somewhat relevant to that conversation...

• Hoss
                          Hoss commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Josh love the point you are showing. what a beauty. It makes sense too the similarities are subtle but noticeably different.
                      Working...
                      X