No announcement yet.

Clovis-like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow HiLo nice score thank you for sharing the information with us.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hi-Lo
      Hi-Lo commented
      Editing a comment
      It is my pleasure Hoss. I am thrilled that I could share it with like minded individuals.

These are two examples of artifacts on Collingwood chert. Collingwood chert is sometimes referred to as Fossil Hill chert.

The artifact on the right is a Unifacial Trianguloid End-Scraper.; Early Paleoindian. The scraper may have been hafted, likely used in hide-working.

It is 2.3 cm in length, 2.2 cm in width, and is 8 mm thick, and was also found in the St. Thomas, Ontario area. Click image for larger version  Name:	Collingwood.jpg Views:	1 Size:	189.1 KB ID:	253456
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Collingwood 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	175.9 KB ID:	253457
    Last edited by Hi-Lo; 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      Good examples of Collingwood chert, I placed these in the lithics section of the info section. Thanks Hi-Lo
      Last edited by gregszybala; 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM.

The following is an excellent site about the above mentioned "Clovis" fluted point site at Debert, Nova Scotia.

It is likely that life at Debert would be both strange and familiar to people today. Excavations at the site tell us much about some aspects of people’s lives, very little about others. Knowing relatively little, archaeologists put a picture … Continue reading →

Comment

That's great Greg! Thanks for doing so.

Comment

Hello I'm a new member very nice piece! Have you checked out the article by Ashley M. Smallwood and Albert C. Goodyear " Reworked Clovis Biface Distal Fragments from the Topper Site, 38AL23: Implications for Clovis Technological Organization in the Central Savannah River Region". You will find it on the University of South Carolina Scholar Commons or just google rebased Clovis point that is how I found it. They have done some ground breaking work on Clovis technology down there. I am studying similar point I acquired. Sorry for the blank profile as I am still working on it.

Comment

Planoman,
          I was not aware of that article. Thanks for the heads up. I am going to read it now.
          Regards,
          David

Comment

Very interesting post David.

Many reworked Clovis points can still be identified but I’m sure there are a number of Clovis points out there that are next to impossible to make a positive ID due to extensive reworking of the base. This subject reminds me of a rebased Clovis I found here in the central Great Plains.
            Last edited by 11KBP; 09-13-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Hi-Lo
              Hi-Lo commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I agree. I was indeed fortunate to have handed it to the right people. They knew outright that my classification was off. I would love to see a photo or two of your re-based Clovis.

A buddy of mine built a light box and took a couple of snaps of the point.

I think the results are super.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapped Tip 1.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	283587 Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapped Tip 2.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	283588

Comment

• CMD