Another frame I never shared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another frame I never shared

These are all from Western CT found between Milfod on the coast and Kent on the NY line. The Housatonic river was a mani avenue of travel for Native Americans in western CT and we hunted along the Housy and all of its tributaries. This frame is not coming apart. The points have been in there as long as I can remember so it must have been created by Dad back in the 50's . Sorry about the picture quality folks. The large leafe blade at the top is right around 5.5 inches long. It looks like a Yuma Guilford but I doubt Guilford people traveled or traded that far north. Click image for larger version

Name:	round frame.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	259938
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

The others behind the round frame and to the side are here. I showed these on here before. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00774.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	259941Click image for larger version

Name:	bethany.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	259940
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Superb! What is the lithic on that big red white flecked blade? That is one awesome piece

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure it is felsite

Wow what a beautiful collection! Thanks for showing those frames!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Those are awesome Hoss. The arrangements inside the frames are very artistic and show off the points in a very inventive display. I usually just stack them side by side and try to get as many inside the frame as I can. Someone probably actually did the layout them built the frame to accommodate the display. Nice
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I really like the circle frame, gives me an idea of making a clock with points. Thanks for showing!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

OMG I'm thinking about all the TIME and other finds from chips to funkies to get all those nice ones! Amazing.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
              These are all from Western CT found between Milfod on the coast and Kent on the NY line. The Housatonic river was a mani avenue of travel for Native Americans in western CT and we hunted along the Housy and all of its tributaries. This frame is not coming apart. The points have been in there as long as I can remember so it must have been created by Dad back in the 50's . Sorry about the picture quality folks. The large leafe blade at the top is right around 5.5 inches long. It looks like a Yuma Guilford but I doubt Guilford people traveled or traded that far north. Click image for larger version

Name:	round frame.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	259938
              Matt, that does indeed look like a Guilford Yuma blade almost identical to one of mine (minus the oyster spat). I think trade between regions was extensive so I wouldn't be surprised to find one show up in the NE.
              And that round frame is very handsome!

Child of the tides

Comment

My Dad found his first point at 7 years old in the Naugatuck River where it flows into the Housatonic. There is a old railroad trestle there. My Dad grew up across New Haven AVe from that trestle. Swimming in summer that was his hang out with his five brothers and four sisters. He found a point there and it started a passion that lasted his entire life. He actively collected for 60 years. Family would go with him and give him finds. My brother and I joined him when we were five years young. He would never let us keep fijds . He would always say I will hold this for you. LOL I have points I found in some of the frames as do some other family members.

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have no finds in the round frame. none in the quartz frame I shared yesterday too. Many of these frames he put together before I was hunting with him.

If I get a chance I will take some pics of a couple of boxes of brokes. I need to move these? I have a map of one site we dug on back in the 60's and 70's with a catalog book.Hopefully I can publish it at some point. I know most folks would not care much about this book or map but the Archaeology pros back in CT would probably love to have it. I would publish and sell it. No gifts. I hesitate to put pictures of it on here of the grid map as it is still open land owned by North East Utilities and may give people the wrong impression causing a gold rush. They would just get kicked out if they went there but why should I bother NU or the local authorities that would be called every time someone showed up with a shovel. My Plan was to have this all unpacked by now but something happened recently that has pretty much had me scratch that plan. Looks like I need to move. No rush but I cannot unpack just to repack it all. I have cases and cases of stuff. Broken stuff catalogs , Books, Bulletins, Maps, AMazing what a family can accumulate over a couple of lifetimes. I really cannot wait to get this stuff all back out on view.

Comment

By the way in the 1950's a project was underway on the Housatonic to create an impoundment call Lake Lillinonah Much of the surrounding area of the impoundments was bulldozed and there was not a lot of people looking for artifacts back then. According to my Dad that was when his collection really took off and grew. Many of the sites are underwater now. Lillinonah was Chief Waramaug's daughter and there is a great story that circulates about her and a forbidden love interest. These stories are similar to that of Romeo and Juliet. http://www.newstimes.com/news/articl...gues-64290.php

Comment

It's something Matt for u to have all these points that your dad has found !!! That's more special than the actual artifacts .... very very nice ,,, boy at the stories you could hear of u were able to sit down and listen as he re steps all those points .... awesome Matt
                    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                    NW Arkansas

Comment

Thanks Matt I should pull some frames out that are packed.
                      it's great to see those artifacts
                      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

My Gosh, beautiful.
                        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

A two fold history that you received and got to experience with your Dad. Thanks for sharing these Matt.
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                          X