Lilly Strikes Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilly Strikes Again

Well, we were out on Dale Hollow Lake today for some relaxation, just Granma, Lilly and I. We had finished swimming a bit and decided to beach the pontoon and do some hunting along the shoreline for geodes. I left Lilly with her Granma and headed down the shore in search for geodes. A bit later Lilly followed me down the shore and informed me that she had found an arrowhead. I kinda laughed at her and said are ya sure. She said "Gma thinks it is." That got my attention - so we headed back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LillyPt1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	260369Click image for larger version

Name:	LillyPt2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	260370 Well it wasn't a full point but it was the end of one. It measures an inch long and 5/8" wide. It is somewhat translucent and I believe it is similar to quartz. We have found a few pieces of chert along the shoreline but never anything that was near this well defined. I know that these old eyes would never have picked that out of all the rocks, pebbles and debris along the shore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GpaLilly.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	260371

I had often discussed with my wife what I was going to do with my arrowhead collection because no one else in the family seems to be interested. Now I know what to do with it. Lilly has the interest and motivation to take what I've found and keep adding to it. She's an awesome Granddaughter and I'm proud as peaches of her.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Look at the big smile. You must be proud my friend. Nice shirts! You taught her well.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hoss - If you think on it, you've seen that pic of her and I in our AH.com shirts before. She learning and always looking. She's got the bug alright and I hope I can keep her interest. Thanks and I'm very proud of her.

Awesome awesome !!!!! Congrats on finding the right person that would take this and carry it on !!!!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks G10+ - I agree wholeheartedly - She's the obvious choice.

Wow Lilly has eagle eyes obviously! Nice score! Like those shirts! Going to have to get my little man one now too. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      If ya remember Josh - it wasn't all that long ago that she found that perfect Dovetail in an area her mother and I had just passed through. She's definitely got what it takes and she's definitely interested.

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I remember Chuck. I don't forget super points like that, I've seen many Doves and owned several and that was as fine of an example as one could ever hope to find... Truly amazing!

How sweet! Sadly none of my grandkids seem the least bit interested in any of my collections so I envy you! Keep her hunting! 😊
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Deb - I was in a quandary about what I was going to do with it. I was thinking that I'd wind up giving it to the Picket State Park Museum, which has an archaeological dig and museum of finds but this gal is hooked. If she finds out that I've been on a hunt while she's in school, she almost cries. She the right and only choice for this collection and I'll definitely keep her interested.

Great story, Chuck. I'd be proud of her, too. Bet she has quite a collection some day, and will always remember hunting for arrowheads with her grandfather.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Charlie. She's always looking through the points that I have that aren't identified. I think I'll start teaching her how to classify points and lead her into identifications later on. She's the more studious type so she might just really get into this hobby. I hope so.

That point is sweet but she is just the cutest thing I have seen on this forum bar none chuck.
    You should be very proud of this picture my friend it is a great one of both of you. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30901.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	260418
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Teach her to identify them & about NA culture & it may trigger a future career of some sort-- archeology, geology, history, who knows...
      Child of the tides

Comment

Congratulations Lilly what a great find and a beautiful lithic. Cool shirts.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Sugaree. Appreciate you looking and taking the time to comment.

Congrats Chuck! It's Great that She is interested in Artifact's, never too early to start a Collection.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Josh - She's already got 3 of her own finds as a start. Think I'll build her her own display case.

Way to go Lilly! Grandpa schooled you so good on how to find arrowheads now he has to take lessons from you.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya might be right there Greg. Either my eyes are just not very good or I'm walking way too fast. Lilly's always way behind us on our walkabouts so she's obviously taking a bit more time for a lookabout.

Thanks for sharing Chuck
        South Dakota

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for looking and commenting Gary.

Hi Chuck, Nice story and a real nice point for sure. And I am very happy about your family get together. But as kinda of a hard nosed hunter ( or sadly to say not now anymore); I guess because of my familiarity with the area is why you have not searched those shoreline areas during the winter drawdown. There are places there that should be rich with artifacts. I know the considerations that one must ponder when looking there but I also wonder whether the other collectors in the Byrdstown area are giving that same consideration. Also, for what it is worth, as you may know, the rivers and lakes that contribute to that watershed should be rich with artifacts. Much of those formally plowed fields are likely cowpastures these days. But if there are plowed fields in the Wolf River valley or adjacent areas then those are likely areas of findings for the Early Archaic Era. These are just some of my thoughts from someone who is not any kind of expert. With all that said, I really believe that you are in an area that you don't have to rely on finds from logging roads that are plowed into the hillside. Also, HST, I think it is really amazing that you have found and showed us some really great points. If this diatribe has gone overboard then I apologize. I just wish you the best and hoping that what I say gives you some "food for thought". If it is not digestible then I again apologize.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sailorjoe - I have thought about river hunting as both the Wolf and Obey rivers feed Dale Hollow Lake as you well know. I've read several hunters that were hunting the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers during winter drawdown and finding lots of points and other artifacts. However, I had never really given lake shore much thought. I did talk to my neighbor who has a relative that works at one of the marinas along Dale Hollow and he hunts the shoreline but more for fishing lures than artifacts. He has found a number of arrowheads though. That said and after reading your post, I'm gonna start looking along the shoreline farther up the lake, nearer each river entrance to the main body of Dale Hollow for sand bars and beach/wider shorelines as a start. I'm really glad you posted because this opens up a whole new area for me, especially since my logging roads and washouts are running thin. I just wonder if I should check with TRWA or Army Corp of Engineers to check on the legality of shoreline artifact collecting. I'm not sure it's in the same category as a State or National Park? I know people collect geodes from there all the time. Thanks for the post.

Chuck I fish Dale Hollow 3 or 4 times every winter for smallmouths; it such a beautiful place. I have hiked the shorelines and ridges and found several possible shelters and caves. I asked my TWRA buddy and he said all artifact collecting from the shore of Dale and feeder rivers is illegal unfortunately.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          I kinda figured that especially since Corp of Engineers owns from the water partway up the mountains.
      Working...
      X