Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recognize these birdpoint types and materials??? S.E. US TN?? AL??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recognize these birdpoint types and materials??? S.E. US TN?? AL??

I do not buy artifacts unless it's what I collect and it's found when I'm there, LOL! But someone gave me these family-collected on-the-farm over years points. They were all in a small box. A few other limerock items found there, too. Farm was on a creek or river. This was well over 30 years ago and I FORGOT where his family was from but I think he said either TN or AL...... I would love to know where these came from with more certainty. Thanks! Was the Grinaker Family...
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Another item from the Family Farm collection...... looks like an unfinished banner.... one side is schweeet. The other not so much lol
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hi-Lo
      Hi-Lo commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an odd piece. Thanks for sharing.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like an old Honing stone for an antique Skythe http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~po...al/farmkit.htm scroll down there is a picture of one with some handles made of Horn. See if this works it is the link to the picture in that site. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~po...re3/farm99.jpg

• JSMOSBY
      JSMOSBY commented
      Editing a comment
      "Looks like an old Honing stone for an antique Skythe" Yep, that's exactly what it is. Helped a relative liquid the old family farm in Metter, GA, and found a box with several of them in the tool shed. Often they were carried in a horn clipped to a belt holding water when sharpening.

I'm not really recognizing types or materials Tom so I'm thinking on further down south from Tn. Joe is an Alabama guy so maybe he recognizes these. If it is Al, I'm thinking southwest Al maybe?

I think you posted this in the info center wich makes it only accessible to admins/mods. Might be better to move it into "Native American Arrowheads & Other Lithic Artifacts " to get a better idea of what you've got.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thx Josh, I moved it! SE collectors HELP! lol maybe just the types can get me the region. certainly not florida or georgia. I don't own an Overstreets...
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Looks like a nice collection! Google Tennessee projectile points and projectilepoints.net will pop up. Cross reference the points. It may help you figure it out?

Von
        Last edited by Von; 08-30-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Well I'm at it again. Thanks to Hoss and Overstreet's I'll try to figure out this small "birdpoint" collection. I wonder how people who buy cases and collections from out of their area sort and type.... Again, I've never been a Typer, but a Lumper. My first step is taking out all the "Triangles"...maybe a few are not as "young" as I think... Maybe news at 11 lol
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Pinetree1
            Pinetree1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hours of research and inquiries! 😀

There's three on the left side..... Alibates??
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

There are some real nice artifacts in tha group.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Tom I am in SW Georgia and we get a lot of Alabama cross overs . Meaning when I look up a point I’ll look up Alabama and it’s in there . I see a lot of the Chert that we have . In fact that Small bird point that red with the vain going through it , well I have an exhausted on but exactly the same . Some of that yellow maybe jasper to .
              BUT I have never found the black Chert / flint . That seems to be more of a futher west thing . No expert just telling ya what I find .

Comment

Almost have to give up typing triangles since they are so similar AND varied all over the U.S. You are on to something there, Tam. I'd be better off looking at the materials than the type on those. I lost where this post was lol, thanks for finding it.
                The Stemmed Forms in the case/collection. I think these may be much easier to type. Some of these are really tiny. There are a few that I would think are classic for their types. The "Black" ones are really like a dark greenish, except for one with a bulbous base that is black.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Pinetree1
                  Pinetree1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Most triangles are identifiable. They require time and knowledge, but you can point out their ID. Keep on studying them and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Try posting individual pics of each side and maybe someone here can help.😀

I have some bird points and most are unidentifiable .The few that I have I am going to look at and show you what I have found in Overstreet . Also that bulbous base , I’ll look those up tonight and show you what I have . I think you have a few that I have woodland period .

Comment

So now I am thinking out of the box Tom . Looking at all your points wow sooo many ! Going with you said farmers . Georgia is cotton , some corn but big on timber . Crossing the line in the Overstreet book and thinking of more farms is more North which would put you in Eastern Central .
                  I am going with the theory of farming and lithics that puts you in this area . There seems to be more triangle points there
                  page 403 in the 14th Edition has a few of yours .
                  looked up Camp Creek and it then says also see Copena ,Greeneville, Hamilton , Madison , Nolichucky, and Yadkin .
                  Look up some of these .
                  These match some of your triangles and the lithics .

Comment

Alibaties is a Texas flint and some of the white stuff looks like Burlington to me. Thiose points seem to be from a number of places. A couple look like beat up Scallorn points to me. Some of the pink flint might also be heat treated Burlington. Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	276672
                    Last edited by Hoss; 12-14-2017, 09:14 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That is what has been throwing me. The collection doesn't look like it came from just one area.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Old post I know but you do have a mixed batch there I think you have some African points in there as well as Georgia and Tn and other states. Somebody must of liked the tiny points
                        NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                        X