Stone hammer in fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone hammer in fireplace

Sorry for the blurry photo, only one I have. My mom texted it to me. She is going to sell her 1940's era house in Albuquerque and thought I'd like to drive up and chisel this artifact out of the fireplace. Personally, I think it would be a crime but figured it would make a fun post.

If you don't want to, I will...
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

If you do be careful not to damage it. I wonder how you would go about removing the mortar from the stone? It may be better to just leave it.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow that’s pretty cool !!!!
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

You do have a dilemma! It's possible whoever buys the house will demo the fireplace & discard the artifact. ☹️
          Child of the tides

Comment

I would tend to agree with Hoss. You could do more damage than good trying to remove it, then you face the dilemma of replacing it and matching the mortar back up. Reminds me of a story my papaw reminds me of almost every time I visit, according to him there is a house somewhere around the Cumberland gap area (ky, Tn) were the homeowner incorporated civil war era shot and cannon balls into the stonework all over the front porch and sidewalk... Heck of a way to use those things, but to each there own I suppose.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

The mortar can be dissolved more or less with a substance called CLR you can buy at Walmart. If you do chip it out, a small cold chisel and a chipping hammer could get it out in short order. Chip as far away from it in the mortar as possible. If you are patient, you can pop it out and fill the void with another similar sized rock ...😁
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I think I would take it.
                South Dakota

Comment

Yep you have to take it . It’s part of a Mom memory to . Maybe you can incorporate it in a similar place in your home .I agree with Deb the owner may not appreciate it at all .
                  You can carefully take it out and find a local stone to replace it .

Comment

Working...
                  X