Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if I would have had $$$ with me (my wife knew better than to let my drugged self have my wallet)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if I would have had $$$ with me (my wife knew better than to let my drugged self have my wallet)....

I had surgery on my thumb yesterday morning and Dr.'s orders were zero using the hand for anything, so my bride put me (still drugged) in her car and drove me five hours to Canton, Texas, to the worlds largest yard sale/flea market/craft fair. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, and I'm still not sure what I saw. It was a mass of humanity fawning over a giant mixture of used barn wood, ship lap, old tin, and fake Chinese made "antiques". Lots of merchants also selling collectible stuff like old knives, guns, coins, saddles, cast iron things, and the occasional Native American artifact. I'm not a buyer of artifacts, but I will certainly stop and look at them if I see them for sale. I saw these three (plus one broke one)in one of the shops there, and got to talking to the man who owned them. He was in his late 70's or early 80's, and full of information on all kinds of stuff. He told me these came from a site outside Ponca City, something he called a "killing bluff" where the Indians would stampede buffalo over a cliff. I have read of such places, but never seen one. Anyhow, these are beautiful pieces...2 are 3/4 groove and the big one is what I would call full grooved. The odd one is a busted one, either not well made or not finished.

I figured some of y'all would be interested in seeing them, and I wondered if these were typical prices? I literally have no idea....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

They seem too high to me. I have bought many for under $60. It all depends where you find them. PS. I sent you a pm
    South Dakota

Comment

Price is a subjective thing. An item is worth exactly what someone will pay to put in their collection.
      Check out the price realized sales on the stone axes on pages 2 and 3
      https://www.cowanauctions.com/auctio...-7539/lots?p=1
      Last edited by 2ndoldman; 10-01-2017, 01:44 AM.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hey Jason, Those are some nice looking axes but I would be real interested to see the items just to the right of the axes. Do you have photos of those?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not take pics of the. One was a soapstone pipe and the other was a raw piece of soapstone...he said they were from up your way somewhere. The pipe was modern made, he said. He was asking $15 for the bare block and I can't remember the price on the pipe...

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Jason, those are catlinite, aka pipestone, and not soapstone.

All I can say is I would never pay that for an axe. Hope you heal up quickly.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I would have tried to talk him down at least 1/3 and would have walked if he didn’t budge.

I messed up this weekend because I had an opportunity to buy a nice grinding bowl for under $100 and just dropped the ball? I’ve been kicking myself all day about it.

Von

Comment

I didn't buy anything at all. If I don't know a good deal on something, and it's not something I'm stroking out over, I'm not buying it.
            i enjoyed talking to the old guy more than anything else. He reminded me a lot of my grandpa, and had a head full of old stories. I probably talked to him for an hour about those artifacts, some old guns he had, and a Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys billing he had. He was impressed that someone my age even knew who that was, and I think it made him like me.
            i was pretty certain they were authentic....at least as authentic as I could tell.....they were nice but just imperfect enough to not be forgeries, and the two smaller ones really had some wear on the business end. I'm just dumb enough to pay that for them, if it were something I wanted though...like Bruce said, I guess value is subjective if someone wants to pay that price, but again, everything he had was negotiable.

*you are right on the stone. Pipestone, not soapstone. I'm old and easily confused. It was very smooth and almost silky feeling.

thansk, everyone for the input. Now I know the "going rate" for something like that I guess.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I was thinkin its a shame you couldn`t get a bit more info on where they were found and you could go out there and maybe, just maybe, find one for free.......wishful thinkin i know but...........
              If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                He told me where they were found, and with some help from google and a couple friends, I located the place. Now...getting there is another issue.

WoW..... i did check on google before i asked and it looked to be about 240 miles from Arkansas (if that is where you are) and i thought to you Americans thats just a drive out lol. Not like here in england.... i`d have to pack up the house, inform relatives, tell emergancy sevices and i`d fall of the map when i`d gone 70 miles he hehe.
              Last edited by LucasBMylks; 10-08-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah...240 miles west would put you in some mighty deep water. 😳

It’s a little less than 4 hours one way from here, and I may do it some day, but it would be an entire weekend trip for me. If I go that far, I want to walk some miles. 😊

Yeah i think ya right, you would want some time there. Especially if it is a kill site, I imagine there would be lots of bits and bobs. I just love the idea of the detective work too. and you gotta love google earth for that aswell. Good Luck Hunting.......nice Bio btw and well done on MOTM

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much. πŸ‘

I fancy myself quite the detective...all I need is a good pipe and a trench coat and I’d be a regular Sherlock Holmes...

Except I’m not that sharp. 😊
            Working...
            X