Tiny Vessel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Vessel

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32799.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.4 KB ID:	267079
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8442.JPG Views:	1 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	267077
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8440.JPG Views:	1 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	267078

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8443.JPG Views:	1 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	267076

Just something different. Probably steatite. 1 5/8" in diameter. Found in the Concord River bottoms, Middlesex Co., Ma. Tiny vessels like this are usually referred to as paint pots, but most paint pots are left unfinished on the exterior and just are not this well fashioned. So who knows.....
    Last edited by CMD; 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM.
    Rhode Island

That thing is beautiful. It looks like it was made to be hung by some cordage? I am impressed with the quality of workmanship on that...it sure does leave the mind to wonder/wander....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense. What other purpose for that groove, other then possibly simply decorative? That does make sense, Jason.

That is a fine artifact Charlie thanks for sharing.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That is a really nice artifact!
      I'm still waiting for my first nice hardstone artifact!! I've found little hammer stones before, just gonna keep my head down.
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Boy that’s an oddity!!! That’s really something , I love it .... thanks for showing
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

The East coast has some amazing hardstone artifacts, that's right up here with them.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That is an amazing thing boom!
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks for comments, guys, but, remember, steatite ain't hardstone. It's a softstone. It's like butter compared to granite, basalt, etc. That's why it was selected to fashion things like soapstone vessels that needed to be carved out, or pendants, gorgets, etc. The majority of our hardstone gouges, adzes, etc were basalt or similar hardstones. Sorry if it seems like I'm lecturing, I appreciate the fact that you like this little vessel. Me too!
              Last edited by CMD; 10-05-2017, 07:36 AM.
              Rhode Island

Comment

• gregszybala
                gregszybala commented
                Editing a comment
                Now there's an East coast guy for ya. Schooling a Midwesterner on hardstone vs steatite. Potatoe, Potato. oh to find steatite here. Just messing with you Charlie.

That really is very nice. I have to believe some cord was wrapped around it, but not sure why. I suppose it could be decorative, but why decorate a paint pot?
              South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I don't think we can say for certain it actually was a paint pot. Really don't know what usage it served.

Is the bottom of the vessel a little wider diameter below the ring than above the ring? It kind of looks like it in the picture. If so, maybe it's a ledge for a little lid to sit on.
              South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, Gary, its wider below the ring or groove....

Another great mystery.

Comment

I am going with paint pot or some type jof fluid .. medicine man who knows . It’s those groves on the side to hold a brush or pin point . Very unusual .
                great artifact .

Comment

That is really cool, was that found in New England? Wonder what was in there....

Sorry, I need to read more carefully. I get excited, miss things, and jump the gun.
                  Last edited by -=METACOM=-; 10-06-2017, 11:12 PM. Reason: whoops

Comment

This is probably just the lighting Charlie but it did make me sit back and ponder for a bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedimage_32800_LI.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	267411 Red ochre?
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You mean the label, Bruce? I put an antique style label on it, with the location info. There are also some plow scars which I managed to keep out of the photos....

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hahaha, yup. It was the edge of the label that I was seeing. Thanks for the clarification Charlie.

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                    This is probably just the lighting Charlie but it did make me sit back and ponder for a bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedimage_32800_LI.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	267411 Red ochre?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8485.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	267416
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Working...