New England Hardaway-Dalton Triangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Hardaway-Dalton Triangles

With a couple of triangle threads active lately, I thought I'd show examples of the earliest triangles from my region. Those familiar with this type name from the Mid Atlantic will note there is not much similarity in form. It's really a borrowed name I guess, and perhaps another name will be erected for these if they are ever found in a context that can be dated. At any rate, they are assumed to date to the earliest Archaic.

Here is a display of examples in the Robbins Museum of the Massachusetts Archaeological Society:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	268076

Here are three Rhode Island examples identified by the late Jeff Boudreau, who wrote our region's most recent typology/ Left and middle found by the wife and I. Example on right found by the wife of our friend Jeff(JMatt):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	268077

I love how deep the base is on the quartz example. Boudreau states that this type may be "a vestige of Paleo points with roots in the fluted tradition", and there is flute-like thinning on the quartz example, which is hard to see because of the material. An erose example, also common in the type...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	268078
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	268079

These are often resharpened to the point where the hafting area is wider then the blade. Damage at one corner here makes that less obvious then it was prior to that damage. Boudreau states that these points are seldom found broken, and are often worked to nub stage. He felt they were likely used as knives.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 5.PNG Views:	1 Size:	11.5 KB ID:	268080
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 6.PNG Views:	1 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	268081

Feel free to post examples from New England, or from other regions. Again, those from the Mid Atlantic home region look quite different....

Rhode Island

In the "Let's see some triangles" thread, I identified this as a Squibnocket triangle. But I was incorrect. The base is ground, and its actually a heavily resharpened example of these Early Archaic triangles, from a site in RI that has yielded several examples. A little damage on the lower corner...

Edit: Bill Taylor wrote about this type for a 2001 issue of the MAS bulletin. At least one has been excavated from a context that returned an Early Archaic RC date

It's in this issue as "Narrow Triangle Points from Southeastern Massachusetts":

https://maxwell.bridgew.edu/exhibits...MAS-v62n01.pdf Click image for larger version  Name:	Dalton 7.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	434.8 KB ID:	268083

Last edited by CMD; 10-15-2017, 01:46 PM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      please send a note, have several dalton related points new england,,cant navigate this site very well,, articles go away after i read it,,cant see responses to post,,lol,letter before n in alphabet not functioning on keypad,,points are north central nassachussetts,lol
      Last edited by CMD; 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, I emailed you a note...

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      searchinghawk, I edited out your email addy from your comment. We have been in contact so no need to leave your personal addy in public view, IMO....

Neat type Charlie! The form was obviously successful and the deeply concave base puts me in mind of the Paleo Redstone type from down south. A lot of the Daltons from here in east Tn are also worn down to nubs from usage... That quartz example is really neat. Thanks for sharing the info and pics!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for showing this! Neat to see the difference as well as the similarities. I feel this is true with the Hardaway Side notch as well.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it is true of Hardaway Side Notch as well, and leads to confusion for the same reason.

I think I have one I can contribute to this thread, this is a quartzite example that looks like it has a small flute on one side. I found this one last year in Rhode Island, at a site where a few early lances have been found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160303_133250923-1476x2624.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	268185

Name:	IMG_20160303_164626375-1476x2624.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	268186

Name:	IMG_20160303_164612207-1476x2624.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	268187
      Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

• Shedhunter
        Shedhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to mention, but this one also has light grinding on the base, which is not very visable in these pictures.

Originally posted by Shedhunter View Post
      I think I have one I can contribute to this thread, this is a quartzite example that looks like it has a small flute on one side. I found this one last year in Rhode Island, at a site where a few early lances have been found.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160303_133250923-1476x2624.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	268185
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160303_164626375-1476x2624.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	268186
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160303_164612207-1476x2624.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	268187L
      I don't know. Grinding supposedly eliminates Squibnocket, but there are also Archaic triangles in our region that apparently have never been typed. Of the 33 examples that Boudreau illustrates as Hardaway-Dalton in his unpublished revised guide, 7 are resharpened to the max, and from what I can see, that really makes it super tough to separate them from later triangles. I think the only reason I feel the last one I posted above was a resharpened example is because of all the other Early Archaic points I found on that one postage stamp size site, including 2 Hardaway Side Notched, 2 bifurcated, one Kirk Corner Notchrd, and 2 Late Paleo/Early Archaic lances. So the several deep based, but resharpened, triangles that also came from there, like the quartzite one that I mistook for a Squib, seemed more likely Early Archaic then later Archaic.

Edit: not saying it is not an example. I just have a really tough time knowing when they are not as obvious as the long narrow examples Boudreau illustrates. The predominance of early types on one of my sites no bigger then 50x20 feet in surface area is what led to my suspicions where my shorter, deep based, triangles are concerned. But, I like your quartzite triangle and you know the site better then I do, most likely. Thanks for sharing in this thread.

Last edited by CMD; 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

They do look slightly fluted. Interesting thread Charlie
        South Dakota

Comment

This point reminds me of an early triangle.. I could be wrong. I have found a few broken bases that I suspect are early triangles.. but no complete ones!
          Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Another tough one! That one looks like it had ears. Third one from left in bottom row of Robbins display had an ear too. The long narrow ones are so obvious. If you saw the 7 resharpened to nub in unpublished revised typology, or even many in the first Robbin's photo in this thread, I don't know how to make the call....

• searchinghawk
            searchinghawk commented
            Editing a comment
            yup,,looks like dalton hardaway i would say

How to make the call on this one?! I've had it called a Hardaway Side Notched. From Plymouth Co., Ma. I think it must be early, one ear dinged, tiny side notches. I don't think any of the 16 long narrow examples in the revised typology have ears. They are like that long purplish one in the closeup of the RI frame above....

Name:	IMG_8541.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	268287
          Rhode Island

Comment

OK, here is a nice quartzite New England style Hardaway-Dalton that searchinghawk found in north central Massachusetts years ago. Looking forward to seeing more of his points in the future.....

Name:	IMG_8550.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	268297

Rhode Island

Comment

Another hardaway dalton from Massachusetts..

Comment

Working...
              X