Patina change in the case box...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patina change in the case box...

Freshwater (Santa Fe River- FL) patina on a probable Morrow Mt. Santa Fe "colors". Was REAL sweet yellow and black patina straight out of the river. I never soaked this point in mineral oil, only dawn and water. Put into a casebox and pretty much forgotten for years....when I took it out I couldn't believe the patina had turned dull, not nearly as purdy as it was. This "degradation" of patina occured only because it was out of water and exposed to air, not light...
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

That looks like a totally different point now Tom.
    I had to go back and forth between the first and last pictures to be sure.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I bet the black color was living algae. The point was probably stuck in the sand with the front 2/3’s exposed to sunlight? Over the years it possibly just died and fell off?

Von

Comment

Tom I have a question ... I see people that post points that are so shiny . I know it’s not a river tumble . Is that what you can do soak it in olive oil or mineral oil . I have a really nice
        red chert/ jasper but I think if it had oil it would pop . BTW I would have a heart attack if I found that monster ! Dang boy

Comment

Hey Tom, That is an awesome change in patina. Thanks for the pictures. Sometimes that drastic change in patina doesn't take the thousands of years that we expect.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hard to believe that the first and last pic are of the same point. I was like Bruce - not sure what I was seeing.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

So not due to light? Was wondering if you stuck it in the dark for a couple of months if it would change.
              I have picked up points in the field and been surprised at how much different the patina was between the side down in the soil and the side face up to the sun.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

In my experience, points are always at their best visually right after you pick them out of the ground or water. I notice a big change in my points over time. I have one that I almost didn't pick up because it looked just like a piece of red brick... it's kinda' dull pink and grey now. Nothing as dramatic as your point but they do seem to loose some color as they dry out.
                fldwlkr
                Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Pantina or not that’s one sweet point !!!!!
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

That is a sweet looking point Tom Love that little side notch too.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Put mineral oil on it. Joke, That's an awesome Point Tom.
                      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That sure is nice, and it's interesting how it changed
                        South Dakota

Comment

Wondering if the material could have just been soaked through after hundreds of years in the water - maybe it just dried out after a while?

Comment

Ok one of my blades turned pale . I stuck it under water just because of your post ... it came back to the original color when I found it in sandy moist soil ...
                            Tom just for fun try that and what is the oil deal can I do
                            that ? Or won’t that ruin my lithic

Comment

Ok the last photo is the point all pale . Just stuck it back in water under the sink !!! Simple H2O check this out Tom ! It went back to the original color .

Comment

Working...
                              X