Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today was my day at the honey hole not 1 but 2 check em out & enjoy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was my day at the honey hole not 1 but 2 check em out & enjoy.

think the same man made both of them

Comment

Those are awesome Hamm. Looking at the material and the way they're made, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they were made by the same person. Nice find.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hi HB. Nice finds for sure. Somewhat different with so much of the cortex/rind remaining on the original chert cobble. No way to tell whether the same man or woman made it.but they do look like they came from the same tool kit for sure. Next time you post pics you need to place something along side it so we can know something about its size. I always suggest a quarter because they are one inch in diameter and they are easier to carry than putting a ruler in your pocket. Looks like they are scrapers or small oval knives.

Comment

Hey Hamm, Joe's suggestion of a quarter in the picture is very good. So how big are they? Are they unifaced as it appears? Do they have a steep bevel on the bit end as it appears?
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Great finds. They will display nicely, side by side.

Comment

I'd like to see the points dry after you cleaned them. I have found tools with Cortex still attached but those are pretty unique as in they dont appear to have been repurposed but rather they were made that way from the start. Are these dig from a rock shelter environment? Interesting finds! Thanks for sharing!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Very unusual
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

How big are these? When I look at chipped stone artifacts and notice things a color variation along the peripheral edges and notches on things that just don't look right, I become puzzled. I ask myself why have I picked up and handled ponts and artifacts from all over the US ( not trying to boast here but easily tens of thousands in my fifty + years of collecting) and never seen anything like these? It definitely piques my curiosity. Would you consider sending these to me for a UV and Microscopic evaluation? Neither would harm your artifacts in any way. It is just a very detailed close up study of the surface of the artifact.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                    How big are these? When I look at chipped stone artifacts and notice things a color variation along the peripheral edges and notches on things that just don't look right, I become puzzled. I ask myself why have I picked up and handled ponts and artifacts from all over the US ( not trying to boast here but easily tens of thousands in my fifty + years of collecting) and never seen anything like these? It definitely piques my curiosity. Would you consider sending these to me for a UV and Microscopic evaluation? Neither would harm your artifacts in any way. It is just a very detailed close up study of the surface of the artifact.
                    Just one observation. If the patina on the cortex is millions of years old, and the flaking is nonetheless ancient, there will be a much fresher look to the flaked areas without them necessarily being recent. I have artifacts that display that fact. It won't always be the case, and most of my flaked pieces will not show original pebble or cobble rind anyway. But I do have a flaked ulu made from a large spall in which there is a striking difference in patina between the cortex and the flaked-in notches. One side of the spall is entirely cortex, and the notch looks way too fresh on that side. It actually puzzled me for awhile until I realized the cortex likely had patina that was way older then the notches.
                    Last edited by CMD; 11-05-2017, 11:15 AM.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
                      Hoss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree Charlie that is why a careful study of the entire surface would be required.
                  Working...
                  X