Checking my Expertise or Lack of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking my Expertise or Lack of it

Tam and I were discussing this point earlier today so I figured I'd post it and get a consensus from Ya'll . I have it listed as a Big Sandy - Contracted Base However, as you can see it's damaged on one side and possibly over the face on one side.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Sandy6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	271510
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Sandy4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	271511
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Sandy 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	271512
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Big Sandy3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	271509

I think I've gotten the ID right but wanted a 2nd opinion. I also think the lithic is a Chalcedony. The point has been reworked probably due to the break mid-point right side (see 3rd photo) but has been beveled both sides both edges and the base. Not sure what's going on with that concave appearance in the 3rd photo. Could that have been from a break or possibly original, although I don't believe it was there originally. On this point, when your are holding it in your hand, you can see one side is somewhat flat to concave. You can almost see it in the 3rd photo as it's the darker area in the middle. That area is actually the same brown color as the blade edges but they have been ground which makes that middle part look dull. Hope ya'll can understand all that. Let's hear from ya. Always interested to see what ya have to say and I truly value all your opinions.
    Attached Files
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

I think you have it listed right. That material is really nice. Have you found any other points made from it in the local area?

Von

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      No I haven't Von. I find a lot of different material that is not indigenous to this area. I had a Kanawha Stemmed I found that was a solid milky white that I found but have never seen that material in my life.

Hi Chuck. You've got somewhat of a puzzler for me. If you found it in the area where you are now living there are not many side notched types that normally come from there so a Big Sandy is one that usually comes to mind specially if found on a site that produces Early Archaic points, although there are a few other side notch points that can occur there. Given that the base is broken it is hard to tell from your picture what sub type of a Sandy it is, if it is a Big Sandy. Big Sandys are usually biconex in cross section but I think they can be plano-convex. It looks from its size (about 2 inches long I estimate) and the wear on the edges as well as somewhat rounded tip that it was used as a small knife. So from what I see here I would go along with your Big Sandy call. I'm no lithic expert but it kinda looks like chalcedony to me, too.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sailor and I was found on this mountain. Like I told Von, I find a lot of material that is not from this area leading me to believe that some of these points are brought in from other areas.

That's a dandy point Chuck. I think your Big Sandy call is sound. The toolstone is choice. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hi-Lo for taking the time to comment. Appreciate it. I'm feeling more confident about my ID's.

Out of my region, but I think Big Sandy is a good call. The analog in my area is Otter Creek, which is my avatar.. And it certainly resembles chalcedony. The point itself might not have been imported; perhaps the material was obtained at some distance, but I don't know anything about material distribution in your region during the age in question.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Charlie. That point is the only one that I've seen in this area made of that lithic. But chalcedony is supposed to be almost universal, I thought.?.

If it were found here where I am I would call it a big sandy as well
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks G10+. Appreciate you stopping by for a look see.

Nice one Chuck.

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Coach. Appreciate ya

Love that material

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too Paul. Just wish I could find more of it.

I am with the Big Sandy crew on this one and it looks like Chalcedony to me too!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tanks Hoss - I'm thinking all this larning is start'n to sink in.
Working...
X