Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knappers and others, your thoughts

Picked this up this week.
    It is definitely worked but why or for what purpose I can't figure out. In reading and browsing some have said some kind of gaming piece others have said core for small bladlets.
    Gaming piece who knows but small bladlets? Why? Aren't there enough of those laying around due to point production? The bladlets coming off of this would be micro, I don't see why. The flaking appears to be random.
    Thanks for your insight.
    Appears to be a spall about 2 1/4" wide by about 3/4" tall.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171114_143043.jpg Views:	2 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	272965
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171114_143049.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	272966
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Reminds me of a core Greg, I say that because flakes were driven off one side only. Had it been worked bifacially I would lean towards failed preform. Yeah it would only produce small flakes at this point but it could have been much larger at one time. Many small points were made off small flakes. I often make triangles off flakes no larger than 2"×2" or even smaller. The other option might be a scraper of some sort considering its unifacial with steep edges. Just my thoughts!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Good question Greg I've found a few similar artifacts and have wondered. Thought maybe some form of a scraper but just a total guess on my part. As Josh said maybe a core.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

If not a core, perhaps a turtleback scraper, since that's what they look like-flat on bottom, rounded on top, shaped like a turtle shell.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Hey - maybe a Ninja star!!! Yea - I know. But it is an interesting artifact and the Turtleback scraper makes a lot of sense to me.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Couldn't tell you what it is but I like it. Is that rhyolite?

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Just a chunk of glacial chert

Originally posted by CMD View Post
            If not a core, perhaps a turtleback scraper, since that's what they look like-flat on bottom, rounded on top, shaped like a turtle shell.
            my thoughts exactly

Comment

I was thinking like Charlie and sneaky "Turtle back."
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Greg, Nice find. Is the patina a great contrast or is that just the lighting? The material didn't flake well. If I took a spall and it flaked like that I would probably toss it. But that is because I have worked with lots of better cherts.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks all. Opened my head up to a few more possibilities.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Swiss Arm Knife!😃

Comment

I’m gonna guess it’s a shaft scraper, it looks like ones I’ve made and used for that purpose, unifacial edges work the best for scraping off the bark and nubs and it looks like use wear made them notches along its edges ( first pic by your index finger). Turtleback is a great description but as far as usage I’m guessing shaft scraper.
                      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• gregszybala
                        gregszybala commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Jay, I wondered about those lobes, they do appear to have wear, cool!
                    Working...
                    X