Better pics of fluted point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better pics of fluted point

Yikes my camera is an antique and really hard to get a good focus so I tried my cell phone and got some better shots. The bottom of the sides and bottom have been abraded while the top of sides and point are sharp. I hope these help you guys get a better look at this piece. The last pic is from my blurry camera but I added it so you can see the size.
    Last edited by junkman1031; 12-05-2017, 12:19 PM.

Very cool, where's it from?
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Not real sure that's an intentional flute .... maybe someone else can elaborate a little more
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
        Not real sure that's an intentional flute .... maybe someone else can elaborate a little more
        Im guessing you mean you don't think its a true fluted Paleo point but rather a piece that is basaly thinned and probably later in age? You may be correct in your thinking, I've seen a few of those before. I've seen Daltons and a couple other types have very Clovis like form and characteristics. Generic Lanceollate types were used from Paleo all the way through Woodland and even Mississipian periods. I think there is a chance it could be an intentionally fluted Paleo Projectile/knife as well though. I think a better inspection of the basal area for grinding (edit:just saw he stated it feels abraded) and the possibility of being reworked or damaged would really be nessacary to have a better idea. So i see what you mean but hard to know for certain without a better looksee.

Last edited by Kyflintguy; 12-05-2017, 09:23 PM.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Its a highly patinated piece looks to me but the fresher flaking on the basal edge in the first photo has me a little stumped. Has someone tried to flake on this item recently or was this the way it was found Junkman? Thanks for the extra photos!

Maybe you could also share some photos of that longer white lanceollate point with concave base in another thread as well. I'm itching to see close ups of that item too. One way to get better photos is to use the outside lighting of the sun and rest your camera hand so your camera can steadily focus. I like to hold the camera close to the point so it fills the entire picture. Just some tips to play around with.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• junkman1031
            junkman1031 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Josh, The white point with the concave base is a modern point a friend napped for me I mentioned in an earlier post I had one modern piece I thought I also had it in the post with the pics but I will check and add that fact if I overlooked it. The other point I believe was fluted intentionally. You can see on both sides where the flute stopped on a thicker part of a flake. I have watched some nappers and think they say that the flute hinged. The flaking on the basal edge was there when I found it. I originally thought a plow may have hit it but on closer examination it looks like it was done intentionally. The only explanation Ii can see is the field where 90% of my stuff came from and where this point came from produced artifacts through the entire range of prehistoric Indians. It may have been found thousands of years after it was lost and reused. The patina matches other early points I found there. Nothing Ii ever found there after the archaic period had the same patina or even close.

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok , I see!

I tend to agree with that assessment Junkman. I think the base has been reworked, but it does appear to be a fluted point that probably had Auricles/concave base and the heavy patina adds to the clues of being an early piece. Yes it has a stack on one side but the other appears to have big outre passe flakes removed the way a Clovis should.

Kinda baffled at the point really .... yeah it has some basil thinning going but just laking the look and careteristics of a fluted point .... I mean I may be wrong,, just very crude and out of sorts

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

I just don't see a classic Clovis. Think it's newer, but how new is the question.
            Child of the tides

Comment

It look's like a mix of Clovis and Dalton to Me. Cool looking Point!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I guess what I was trying to say is that there is diffance between a point that has bean thinned and took out a large flake and a point that had a fluting platform set up and an intentional flute was removed ..... i believe this point has large basil thinning flakes took out of it and was not set up to actually have flutes removed .... just an opinion

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                X