Thank God for Rain....finally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God for Rain....finally...

After all the dirt moving and the dry fall, we finally got a rain. I’ve been down on the farm deer hunting since Monday and was able to take about 10 minutes to check the site....if I hadn’t dislocated my hip I’d still be out there. Usually the Hill is very sandy and drains quickly, also allowing for easy walking even right after a rain, but the chisel plowing and relocating dirt from the bottoms back up to the Hill drug a lot of gumbo up and made walking extremely difficult.

the second stone I picked up was the celt. It’s rough, and the least pretty one I have, but I love it’s simplicity. The little gray point is nice, but a heartbreaker. I also found a couple three scrapers, but left them in my sidexside. The wind has been blowing all day so it will hopefully be dry tomorrow. I’m going back either way....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Nice little celt congrats on the finds
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice finds! Any luck with the deer hunting?

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think my version of “luck” deer hunting differs from most. I am afforded the luxury of being able to pick and choose what I want to kill. We have a large deer population here on the farm and I will only kill a mature “trophy” buck. I use the deer hunting more as an excuse to spend time with my Dad than a means to exercise any real animosity I might harbor towards the deer. I’m not mad at the deer like I was when I was younger, but I still enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I consider it a success when I have one in my crosshairs and could easily take the deer, but choose not to. I love deer meat, don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the killing either, but the youngsters have to learn and hone the skills, so they keep the heard in check. To be honest, I saw two 8 points this evening at less than 30 years each, let them both walk because they are young and need three more years to make a trophy. Yesterday my dad and I sat on the tailgate of his truck and watched a (PARENTAL WARNING. :R rating) very large ten point fend off two smaller bucks while repeatedly having relations with a doe. We were about 1,200 yards away and watching through spotting scopes, so it was as enjoyable a deer hunting moment as I’ve had in a while. This past week I’ve seen somewhere north of 50 bucks. Three or four were “shooters”, but for some reason or another I didn’t pull the trigger. I have until the middle of next week to hunt, and killing one now would lay waste to my excuse.😁

• Pinetree1
        Pinetree1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I also only shoot mature bucks, so no explanation needed! Good luck though. What state do u hunt?

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hunt in Arkansas, but our property boundary is also the state line...I can throw a rock into the Mississippi.

Hey Jason, I really like that little celt. Good luck get some more ancient weapons and some meat to boot.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron. I’m certainly getting my exercise.👍

Nice find despite the hard going. Hope you get some meat for the freezer too. Hunters here are having a good year, although I'm hoping the doe and her two fawns & two yearlings hiding out on my property just stay put. Lots of browse, berries & mast to keep them busy for awhile.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Wow love the hard stone !!!!!!!!! Awesome sir awesome
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Congrats!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Glad to see the tides turned for ya Jethro. Take care of that hip though. Deer hunting up here has been good. My neighbor came from NC with his 2 brothers and Mom and Dad and they all got a deer. Most were six point or more and one doe. It's better than the past few seasons. Unfortunately for me the ground cover of leaves is still pretty heavy. Even the rain hasn't carried them away so my arrowhead hunting is minimal. Watch out for that clay - it's slick as snot. :-)
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the wind blew all our leaves over into Mississippi...

Super celt and corner notched. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It’s always nice to find a Celt. It’s a nice one.
            South Dakota

Comment

Hi Jethro. A dandy celt for sure. They come in many sizes, shapes, and material. And for many uses from working on wood to working on noggins (lol). Yours looks to be made of greenstone or something similar. If so, where do you think that rock came from? I'm asking that because if you're from the Arkansas delta country there ain't a whole lot of rocks close by. Or do I have you mixed up with someone else? Could be, I'm getting really old and my hearing and eyesight aren't what they use to be. Course my memory is still perfect. lol. The greenstone celts that I use to find in the mid Tenn. River valley also had to come from material toted from far away. None of those rocks were up on the nearby hills. Nice little Woodland era looking point despite the broke tip. Probably a dart point.

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                The Celt is some type of stone I’ve not encountered before, although I’m no expert on stone...you are correct. It’s not native to here in the land of the silt and mud. I think it could have been found in a gravel bar in the river, as I’m finding may be where lots of these stones actually were found....I have half a bucket of stuff to wash up and look at a second time and maybe post some pics of...I found what I am almost certain is a piece of petrified wood...and that is way out of place here. Pics to come when I get close to civilization again. We have a cabin here, and it’s 17 miles to a paved road from where I’m sitting right now.😇. My idea of heaven... but lacking in the cellular service...

Oh I love that story Jethro . Your a lucky guy to be hanging out with Dad hunting . Great little Celt there . Can’t wait to see what else you find .
              Tophy bucks only that’s the way . We have some nice 8 pointers but let um go to grow .
              We saw the biggest Doe ever you could put a saddle in her .
              We called her swamp donkey . Let her go she was so big . Kind of want to see her make it .
              Well that’s heaven to me dirt roads , no traffic and rules .
              Kind of like the phone not having service .

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Tam, I’m going to maybe post the rest of the pics tomorrow...

So, I think this is petrified wood..any ideas? Also, this is one of the scrapers, I think Tam calls them turtle back scrapers? I can't find the other little thumb scraper I put in my pack, but I will...
              Last edited by Jethro355; 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Those are some neat items. Not sure on the Perrified wood but the other is a great little tool. In my opinion not a turle back. Turtlebacks are flat on the bottom side . To me it looks like the end of a pebbly was bifacially flaked it almost looks like a mini chipped celt. in the fourth picture.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hoss, I learn a little more every day.👍 I always thought a celt was supposed to be smooth.??
                  Anyway, I find those literally all the time. Anyway, thanks for the look and the info.

I am with Hoss what the heck I think you found another Celt .
                your on a site . Those turtle back scrappers literally look like a turtle shell large or small . Someone showed me one the size of a soft ball when I was on the last trip .
                Like the bottle cap scrapper looks like an old coke bottle cap what ever metal that was .
                I’ll never be like Ron but getting into
                tools .
                Could be !?!?
                Never found petrified wood very cool .

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Tam. :-). I spend an aweful lot of time on this "site".
              Working...
              X