Name:	100_2426.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	295868 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2431.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	295869

So I found a Hidden Valley Today. My Daughter helped Me with The Pic's, but I tried to get a Bevel shot on The last shot.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hv1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	295726 Click image for larger version  Name:	hv2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	295727 Click image for larger version  Name:	hv3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	295728 Click image for larger version  Name:	hv4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	295729
    Last edited by JoshinMO; 04-13-2018, 08:08 PM.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Get your daughter to help a little more.
    I don't see any pictures.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      There We go Bruce, She sent them to Me and I guess they were too big full size.

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      All good now Josh. 👍👍👍

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for The Headsup though 👍

Dang Josh that is a sweet find! Creekfind? If so its a miracle to have such a perfect tip. Wicked bevel too! Congrats man!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, yep Creek find. High Five!

Hey Josh, That is a beautiful large blade. Great find man.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron, My Daughter is holding It in first 3 shot's but It is about 3 in.

That’s a dandy right there!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Jethro Thanks, It is!

Actually, getting pic's up can be a pain and I am spent for word's by the time it's figured out. But, this is a special Find for Me. It's Something I have been wondering about after reading about The Hidden Valley year's ago. It might just be a Dressing to some but when I hear It I'm thinking Something different and now It's just even better. I will go as far to say It was found in The same County.

Comment

It’s beautiful and perfect in every way .... and so were the points you found yesterday and the last few weeks .
      What the heck is the point spirt guiding you ??

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks very much Tam. I don't know, I like It though.

Wow, that's a keeper for sure! You have some great materials in your area.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I think so too.

Killer point!

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks TN.

I looked that point up . I cannot believe what perfect shape it is for Early Archaic and a creek . Gotta be a big wash put up stream happening from all your finds .
      It has rained a lot in the South.. don’t you know I am watching .

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it's an interesting type. I might get different pic's up someday. I'm not going out in those Tornado's!

Nice! On the type, it is very resemblant of a hidden valley, with the basal thinning resembling fluting. However, the lack of a concave base is kinda problematic for considering it to be a hidden valley, and would lean my thinking more toward something in the Dickson contracting stem cluster. Either way, it is certainly a wonderful piece!

Comment

• AndyinMO
        AndyinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, Lloyd Doty merely noted that the stem is elongated and contracting with thinning present on one or both sides which may give the appearance of short flutes. Given the fact that they added Doty's note within the description of the physical characteristics as opposed to being a post script to the description, I can see how you got confused and attributed the rest of the basal description to Doty. The description of the base was continuing with the overall description of the type which was named by Robert McCormick Adams. I do see where later descriptions by other archaeologists have added upon Adams' original notes which expanded the parameters for typing the hidden valley. Here is Adams' original description.
        Adams (1941:191) originally described the Hidden Val-
        ley Stemmed type as consisting of “very long projectile
        points with [contracting] stems, elongated S shaped edges
        and concave bases, [and] a long curved blade.” I did read the link you posted and what it claims as far as the base goes, however, it does not support your case, or it's own statements for that matter, very well for a few reasons. (A)while it does state that Adams was the names of the type, It does not cite Adams at all, though it should, as he put forth not only the original work on the subject but also a large body of work in missouri. Aside from that he served as secretary of the Smithsonian for ten years... The fact that his work was not cited severely damages the credibility of the link you provided. (B)the references cited at the end are not notated at the points in the writing that they are being used for, which debases the reason and purpose of citation. (C) it makes the error of stating that the base is usually straight to concave, which is backwards since the straight base is an outlier even if we allow for straight base to possibly be a characteristic. (D) If one is willing to accept what is on that link as a definitive authority on the hidden valley type, it clearly states that hidden valleys are easily mistyped and mistaken for the more common Langtry.
        To be clear, it was not myself or Doty whose opinion is being offered, I merely stated what was on projectilepoints.net, which bases their work on Adams'. Then in this reply I directly cited Adams' own words. So, it is not me who you should/did say is wrong..but one of the most respected archaeologists and anthropologists that has served in both fields.
        But hey man, I meant no disrespect when I made my first comment, and I hope you don't take this reply with any offense as that is not my intention. After all, its your find so you can call it what you want.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy, I believe You are wrong and not reading right. But I can see how You got confused. Yes The link I provided doesn't support The one You mentioned. My link describe's The base as usually straight to slightly concave. I think You just wan't to argue.
        Last edited by JoshinMO; 04-14-2018, 07:29 AM.

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy I sent you a ptivate message. I will give you a little time to respond to it.

That's a wicked good find, Josh!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Deb!

Congratulations Josh. A very nice point for sure. I think I see the bevel you talk about.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Joe, You can check My New Picture's If You would like, I'm in The middle of getting them here.

That is a beauty Josh can I have it? just kidding man congrats on a great find. Your daughter takes great pictures.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hoss, It's The nicest Point I ever found. Yes She does. Oh and no!

More Pic's, showing that Early Archaic bevel.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2432.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	295876 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2434.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	295877 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2440.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	295878 This show's the flattened C.S.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2425.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	295879 kind of blurry though. Thanks Everyone, I am Happy to have been able to share this.

Comment

Working...
    X