How do I date artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I date artifacts?

I am pretty sure that this question has been asked before, but here it goes. How do I date artifacts? I have a few arrowheads that I would like to know the age to. I have heard terms like Archiac, Woodland and Mississippian, but I have no clue about there meaning. Is there a way to tell by just looking at them?

Thanks
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Well ya start off by introducing yourself...like hi, do you come here often.... ok just foolin about. KP there are many books available and a wealth of info online. My go to online site is www.projectilepoints.net I will bet that there is a good book out there that specifies Kentucky artifacts as the bluegrass state is a hotbed of relics/artifacts...the previously mentioned site has many pictures and explanations of terms. This site also has an area that will explain many terms etc...on the top of the screen click resources. There you will find answers to many of your questions. Hope this helps ya...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol...good one Jethro

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I myself wouldn't date them... too flaky😂

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah they can be dull and archaic...

The terms Paleo, Archaic, Woodland and Mississippian are the names we use to recognize periods of time in the prehistoric America, specifically the east of the Mississippi River.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rn-27f2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	306053 This diagram gives you an idea of those time periods and what was going on in the western Hemisphere at those same periods. It's not a perfect chart I know due to some glaring omissions, but it helps give context...

Dating artifacts is a matter of being able to use our current typology system to figure out what our finds may be. Archaeologist and Collectors have created a system were by lithic projectile points, knives and tools have been separated by location, form and age and given names. It's not a perfect system and can be very confusing because so much overlap exist in prehistoric tool forms. Like Frank mentioned above you can use identification sites to help you narrow down what your finds may be. You can post them here and get ideas from our membership or you can purchase typology reference books.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Here's is a good resource I use quite often. You can click 'read online HTML' to view the book on your device. I know it says for Al. But much of it is applicable to KY as many of the types can be found there.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3997...lcome_stranger
      Last edited by Kyflintguy; 07-01-2018, 09:29 AM.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Also i made this reference that may help you understand some of the terminology that these typology references will use to describe projectile points and knives.

These illustrations along with accompanying terminology have been provided as a resource for identifying and describing projectile points and knives. Once the
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Let me know if you are needing one Kentucky .
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Got mine in the mail today!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            That's how many of us started out. And there will still be finds that just don't seem to match anything in your region until you realize there was extensive trading going on and variations in knapping techniques & evolving technology. Just have fun ad you explore the book!
        Working...
        X