Unusual Jack's Reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Jack's Reef

This is my favorite Jack's Reef Corner Notch point. I found this while hunting a sandbar in RI with my wife. It had been a long time between decent finds, so, at the time, it elicited a little jig on that sandbar. In fact, I danced so far away, I remember my wife yelling out "you're gonna lose it if you don't get back there and pick it up!". Don't think I haven't done just that, lol, though I've always managed to find them again.

Anyway, I thought Jack's Reef right away, because we had found several at that location, and it was made of hornfels, a preferred material for such points in our region. On the other hand, I had never seen one with a basal notch. But later, in older Overstreet editions, I read "rarely, they have basal notches". A couple of area collectors, including my friend Bill from Martha's Vineyard, who edited our regional typology by Jeff Boudreau, concurred that it was a JR Corner Notch.

Interestingly, shortly before he passed away, I showed the point to Boudreau. He had never heard mention of JR's with basal notches, and, in fact, he said "I don't know what that is. I don't believe I have ever seen that type before." Well, that is interesting. I have since found other point types from my hunting spots with basal notches, so it does seem to happen on occasion.

At any rate, I still see it as a JR Corner Notch, and my favorite of that type. Wish I had had the opportunity to discuss it further with Jeff Boudreau....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0887.PNG Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	306670

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0888.PNG Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	306671
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0886.JPG Views:	1 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	306672
    Last edited by CMD; 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM.
    Rhode Island

Beautiful Big Jack's Reef CN (knife?) Charlie!

I bet it's nice and thin?! I know most I've encountered are. Something I admire about those woodland Jack's Reef knappers is they knew how to make thin bifaces at a time when most things were being knocked out rather crudely... Thanks for sharing this one!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Cool! I’ve got to find one of those. They’re such well made points. This is a great example of the fact that typology is open to so much subjectivity because humans are not all the same. Rather often times knappers probably needed to improvise as they worked, or as points broke. Very cool jacks reef Charlie! Thanks for sharing this, and happy Independence Day
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, there are always one offs, even within a set tradition, and like I said, this JR is not the only projectile type I've run across with a basal notch. There will always be things we can learn, and we amateurs are in a good position to notice things because, really, we actually handle more points then many pros do.

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
      Beautiful Big Jack's Reef CN (knife?) Charlie!

I bet it's nice and thin?! I know most I've encountered are. Something I admire about those woodland Jack's Reef knappers is they knew how to make thin bifaces at a time when most things were being knocked out rather crudely... Thanks for sharing this one!
      Yes, it is thin. As I think has been mentioned on here in the past, the JR people also seemed to insist on the best lithics. So jasper was a frequent choice. Most of the jasper must have come from Pa., but there was a local deposit in Limerock, RI that was utilized. I'm sure the JR people must have been familiar with that deposit. And the hornfels was quarried in the Blue Hills south of Boston. That quarry still exists and is protected now. Hornfels would not win any beauty contests, and I don't have the experience you knappers have, but it's obvious to even myself that the hornfels is superior to our regional rhyolites.

And I think you hit on a weakness that is inherent in prehistory that can never really be overcome. Namely, why did a group like the JR people insist on the best materials available locally, and insist on being the best knappers? Can we ever really answer that? I don't think so. History affords us written records. We can learn so much more about the past, even a distant past, when writing is present. Prehistory simply does not provide that. So we are left wondering why a group like the culture that produced JR points stood out this way. I understand that the higher the quality of lithic, then the more high skill sets in knapping can produce finer results. But it's the why did they insist on standing out this way that is nigh impossible to ever answer.

Rhode Island

Comment

Thought provoking subject Charlie. Your right, it's a darn shame to think we may never know. Forgive me for playing the devils advocate here in the speculation department. Lol

Thinking of what you've said regarding the real likely possibility of never knowing why? I say this: instead of "why did the insist on standing out?" Maybe one could look at it instead as "why did they stand out?".

​​​​We have the benefit of looking back at a period of time in retrospect and being able to compare one era of tools with others. It would be interesting to know if that same attention to detail carried over into other aspects of those people's lives as far as tools, clothing, adorments, religion, trade, distribution and maybe most importantly social stability. Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to correlate that consistent quality made tools are directly linked to successful social networks through trade and exchanges of information? I think it's an interesting thought that may have basis in fact and may be verifiable by looking at some of the most successful prehistoric cultures artifacts. Just thinking out loud but some of the best artifacts we see come from the pinnacles of various cultures Ie: Mississippian Mound cultures, Hopewell, Mayan, Aztec, and in the Paleo periods excellent/consistent wide spread tool making was the product of the same Nomadic people's. Is it possible that JR was a high spot of idea sharing the woodland period? Maybe the thinness and make don't warrant that much of credit in regards to how they lived. But I would not be suprised if it did.

So I agree it may be impossible to ever reliably know for certain, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility for future generations of researchers to make a good association. This train of thought I'm on could be as dangerous as wich came first: the chicken or the egg? Lol. However I do find myself pondering if well made tools were directly linked to a more standardized (prehistorically speaking) approach that would only be sustainable through well formed social interactions or even more simply just good logistics in that some people's were better at getting the word out... I think that similar principles applies even today. More advanced economies benefit from better networks and technology sharing. So instead of them insisting on standing out could it be possible that they stood out because they were a little more advanced than the rest? I'm not sure but it's a darn interesting thought!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent thoughts Josh! My guess was a very informed people with extensive trade routes and a flourishing culture as well.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your thoughtful speculation, Josh. We can say for certain that the trade network was widespread at the time JR points were being made. And, I'm not sure if it's relevant observation, but in New England at least, JR Corner Notch points are regarded as the first projectiles used with the bow.

Beautiful point and rare to boot! Great find Charlie.

Comment

What material is that beauty? Not flinty looking.
          New Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by kayakaddict View Post
            What material is that beauty? Not flinty looking.
            Braintree hornfels, sourced near Boston.

Rhode Island

Comment

That's a beauty Charlie. I'm fond of Jacks Reef as they are commonly found along the coast, although that's one of the largest ones I've seen. Neat!
              Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
              X