Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clovis fluted? Need confirmation

Comment

A Clovis was meant to be a spear head.Unless we have an army of elves running around, I doubt it is a Clovis spear point. It does look like a flake though.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Looks a little small to be a Clovis part, but only being on forum for only ten days I would have thought you would have got more welcoming comments
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Looks2Much
          Looks2Much commented
          Editing a comment
          Meant no harm, in truth, my GIF was asking a legitimate question.

Yeah, that's on the tiny side. As far as miniature fluted points, they do exist. Archaeologist Dean Snow illustrated complete fluted points from a site in Ct., and of the Barnes variety, as small as 21mm, less then one inch. Boudreau, in his expanded New England typology showed a complete fluted Barnes point of 33mm., about 1 1/2". So miniature fluted points are well known, and from various excavated sites, and as surface finds. That said, I am unable to judge the fragment seen here.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Johnny, is right. You are just a beginner, and we should have been a little more understanding in our responses. I am sorry if I was rude.

I definitely think that you have a flake, although fluting is out of the question.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Just a flake imo, keep up the search!
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Yes, Clovis points were used as projectiles, but also as knives. Here are two miniature Barnes projectile points. Barnes is post-Clovis, younger then the onset of the so-called Younger Dryas. But, they still date to the Paleo Era, and they are still fluted points. Both these points are true miniature fluted points. The illustration is from Dean Snow's The Archaeology of New England(1980). The point on the left is about 7/8" long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	320183

Rhode Island

Comment

• JoshinMO
                JoshinMO commented
                Editing a comment
                So Your saying there's a chance?

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                Next time I go to CT I will go see my friends there and see if I can handle this artifact.

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                I know that site has a name, Hoss, and I believe it is in western Ct. Cool if you can actually handle it....

I would research microliths . They have been found and recorded in North America . https://scholarworks.montana.edu/xml...pdf?sequence=3
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Folks should understand the only reason I posted the info on miniature fluted points is because I had the impression, from earlier coments, that folks might not know they exist. It was not intended as a comment about the piece of chert posted. I have a miniature fluted point myself, which either my wife of I found, not sure which of us. Anyway, that is all, over and out, lol....
                Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
                  Scorpion68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Charlie - Did you ever post a pic of that miniature fluted point. I don't recall having seen one and as you say, didn't even know they existed. Would you post it in a separate thread please?

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I must have shown it some years ago, Chuck, but happy to oblige you...

• Scorpion68
                  Scorpion68 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Charlie - Appreciate ya

i would like to see closer pics of this piece,also of the other side and all 4 edges
                also would like to know area it was found in before i make any comments as to what i think it is
                that pic is small and even after blowing it up,its hard to make a judgment on it.

Comment

I gotta tell ya Bs8689, When I first saw your pic - I started chuckling to myself and thought He's got to be kidding. Then I read Charlie's (CMD) post and went back and took a longer, closer look at your post. I was really surprised. That does look like a flute channel but it's really hard to tell if it's a miniature base with a flute or if it's like Jay says, a flake. How about showing a few more pics including edge-on and the other side as well. Might help us a bit. By the way - Welcome Aboard and that's an excellent photo.
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have been watching this with interest. It appears that you have found a very unique piece, I would like to see some more pictures of it as well. Hopefully you post more pictures so someone on here who is knowledgeable in these areas can help us out.
                    Last edited by Gatorboy; 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

To me it looks like a portion of a uniface blade/bladelet that was struck using blade core technology. Imo the channel wasn't the product of intentional fluting but rather the result of a previous strike while that piece was still on the core.
                      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 09-18-2018, 09:52 PM.
                      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Whatever it is, it’s a beautiful lithic....
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                        X