Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spud. ​​​​​​​yeah...just the word...it gets the mind racing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spud. ​​​​​​​yeah...just the word...it gets the mind racing.

At least for me it does.
    brief history here...I have a first cousin the same age as me, we grew up together and are still close after 50 years. He actually runs the family farm, the one I frequently walk searching for artifacts. When I say farm, I know it conjures up images of old barns and cows and maybe amilkmaid or something, but ours isn’t so much that kind of farm. The site I usually hunt is also where our cabin is and where I deer hunt, it’s my fortress of solitude, so to speak. It sits in the center of a 4K block of mostly farm land with a few hundred acres of trees and lakes spread throughout., and its rich to the nth degree with Quapaw/Mississippian artifacts of all types, but because of its proximity to the River, we are likely to never find anything there over 1,000-1,200 years old because of the river meanderings.

occasionally, I hunt other parts of the farm closer to where the family actually lives. We farm about 28k acres spread over 3 counties, and the area away from the river is where some of the more interesting(older) finds have been made. Sometimes the wandering bring up the most interesting mix of artifacts, from paleo to civil war. Last year we had a crew doing some precision leveling(I know, it hurts me too)on a section of new ground, when the land plane broke down. The guy operating it radios my cousin and he shows up and they begin to replace the busted hydraulics. This machine is about 80 feet long, so my cousin is walking it looking for any missed flaws before starting back up when he finds a rock that looks odd. Any rock there is out of place, so he picks it up and puts it in his tool box in his truck. It rides around in the tool box for about 8 months until he trades the truck in and he has a guy swap the tool boxes out to his new truck and clean it out... the guy brings the rock into his office and he was all “oh yeah, I forgot about that thing.” Now, mind you, he knows just enough to be dangerous when it comes to artifacts...he cares next to nothing about any of them...so he takes it home and puts it in a drawer. This past spring he and I were talking about some artifacts I had found(I always get excited and try to get him excited, and it never works) and he says he had found this weird rock. I asked what it looks like, and he draws it in dirt on th tailgate...and my jaw drops. I google images and show him this pic, and he says “yeah, it looks just like that, but the cutting edges are smooth and not serrated.” My heart just about jumps out of my chest. I’ve never held one of these...only seen them in museums and books and on the interwebs...so I say “can I see it?” We hop in his truck and head to his house, which is in the throws of a huge remodel(his wife was inspired by my remodel) and he asked where the contents of a certain drawer are...and she says everything is all boxed up and in storage In the shop. I resist the urge to dig through 50 boxes of his personal belongings, but I don’t know how. He says “when we unpack everything, and when I find it, and you can have it.” I am literally stunned and at the same time not surprised at all, because he just doesn’t care about things like that at all.

so now, I sit patiently waiting on their builder to finish......

heres the image i showed Him he said “looked just like that”....
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

I think of Potato's but I googled and see rat tail ETC. Wow, that's quite cool!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Wow, that's awesome! It'd be awesome to find something like that.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Hey Jason, Now I am excited to see it.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ron, you know how rare nice hard stone artifacts are....I’ve got ONE really excellent, top tier Celt out of all the thousands of miles I’ve walked. I’ve got dozens of broken, chipped, or unfinished pieces, but this thing...Man. 😳

He’s not prone to exaggeration, and he said it was about 14” -16” long....made from some sort of dark blackish rock that is highly polished...

Wow what a story ..my pot of coffee brewed while I read it....niw I gotta see it too
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I’m A bit of a story teller at heart.....

Wow! Tell him (nicely) to unpack faster!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Wow. U really need.to get.back to that spot

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            I went there and spent an afternoon wandering through the spring beens, found a nice big, fat base...but the beens were too tall so I’m also awaiting the harvest, which is under way as I type...

Jethro I had to go get another cup of coffee for the ending . You need to just go speed up the the remodeling .
          I’llhave to look this up it’s out of my scoop of knowledge .
          Are you sweating bullets ? Worried about them opening the box .

Comment

Ok. Just looked this up and holly Molly to the 100th degree and I really learned somthing here . I can’t wait to see it . I need your help , this was under spud as well . We find these all over the place but the ends look like a flower . All broken though . The base is always snapped. is this a spin off and of course nothing like you found .. they look like flowers .

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              There’s a topic somewhere on this site titles spatulates and spuds, if I’m not mistaken.
              I know there were several found on a site south and east of the airport here in Little Rock about 80-100years back, and I’ve seen pics of them, but cannot find them in a collection.
              I cannot wait to get my hands on this thing....

• pkfrey
              pkfrey commented
              Editing a comment
              Tam, The first thing you don't want to do is, go to ebay for reference material. If you check" spuds " there's 23 listed, and 3 of those have a chance to be authentic. Actually, one of the three that's very expensive and documented even looks suspicious. The brownish tint on it looks acid treated. This particular one that you posted and can be found under the sold link, is a natural, geofact. It was formed with a very unusual spike type growth of sandstone, and was attached to a larger piece and broken off, because the seller has a huge imagination. And under the sold listings, 22 were sold, not one of these are authentic. Not even the highest priced one with a Baker paper. And don't get caught up in the answer, But it was pictured in Who's Who! Back in the old days there were still reproductions being made, and plenty of these made their way into photos, and well known books. Being pictured doesn't necessarily authenticate an artifact. Spuds, rat tail spuds, spatulates, etc., are so rare in museum quality, and yet every week there's 20 more on ebay. With Baker and Shenk papers. And those guys might not like what I say but, they don't know a cork from a button!!

Jethro clean up you PM it’s full . I have a question

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              After stuff is in trash you then have to delete or empty the trash.

• Broken Arrow
              Broken Arrow commented
              Editing a comment
              How many msgs does it take to fill it up?

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              50 messages is full they cound sent trash and inbox so empty them all. If you have phone numbers in there or address save them in your own personal files at home and then just whipe the thing clean.

Idk know for sure but Hoss told me you have to trash your trash to clean it up . So I just transfer things I want to keep to a file in the mail .

Comment

Jethro It was about the spud thing . Got it and can’t wait to see it .
              but those little tools I find that are like flowers . Whattte heck are those . They are not spalls or reduction flakes believe me I have had my fill of those . I wish I had a good one . Think I will just have to find a good one again and keep it . One in the case is broke to .

Comment

Some of the ones I’ve found in my search/research are what they called chipped spatulates, they look a lot like that Tam...like a more utilitarian version,. I don’t think most of the granite type ones I’ve seen were made to use.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thats great Jethro . a bunch of us in Georgia have a bunch of these from small to Palm size . We do a lot of head scratching . We knew it was a tool but wanted to know if anyone else ever saw one .
                  They are like a spatula .

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think that’s actually where they got the name from. 👍👍

I love it Paul , I never go to eBay that just popped up on a search with others . You know I never post these type of finds unless there is fine pressure flaking on the sides . Then I usually don’t even post that . Just ask someone 🤫

Comment

• Havenhunter
                    Havenhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tam, Chase has been trying to PM you but your mailbox is full.
                Working...
                X