Low grade spud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low grade spud

Jethro started a post on a once in a lifetime find . The spud with the rat tail as they called it . I had to look this up to wrap my head around it . In doing so they had a more low grade looking utilitarian type that looks like the pic I will post . We have found these but they are always busted up from use or a plow. The ones we find have this tell tale always the same flower or pedal end .
    Now mine are all busted . I have given nice ones away and no pics not knowing what they are . We seem to find wood working tools as well like that turtle back scrapper if that’s a clue . I never have posted these .

Comment

Sorry Tam, don’t let EBay fool you, the one there isn’t a spud either.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

The good ones have a base and the tops are like a flower .
        just a tool ?

Comment

I was going to post the thumbnail size . They are all alike just from this one camp . I even wanted to start a thread about pieces piticular to an area or camp .
          They all have this stem and flower top .
          small to large

Comment

Tam, I have a lot of quartz pieces that have the same look as the item in your hand .I always thought it was repurposed as a scraper. This summer i walked hunting land on the Saluda River and found pieces that looked identical to the pieces I'm referring to as a repurposed scraper from my land. Only i could tell the difference in the quartz .
            South Carolina

Comment

In my opinion these are just spall which are larger flakes .
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you .

Originally posted by Josie View Post
              Tam, I have a lot of quartz pieces that have the same look as the item in your hand .I always thought it was repurposed as a scraper. This summer i walked hunting land on the Saluda River and found pieces that looked identical to the pieces I'm referring to as a repurposed scraper from my land. Only i could tell the difference in the quartz .
              Josie I think we find some similar pieces being in the South East . Like the people in the North have specific lithics and beach finds with no serrations from tumbling in the surf . Post them here or in a PM Josie . Thank you

Comment

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                Will do.

Josie see the one in the case it’s quarts but has a fracture on the left . It’s one of those perfect flowers with the little handle . I think your right repurposed . I’ll show you a little one just like a miniature scrapper but the same as that one in the case .
              They are just strange .

Comment

Tam, here’s some smart people words on spuds...copied from an online site...quotes from some recognized names...

"---permit me to register a protest against the word "spud" which is suggestive of a heavy iron implement in the hands of a laborer. It is supposed that the word "spud" is retained because no one has proposed a good substitute."---1910, Warren K. Morehead, "The Stone Age In North America," Vol. 1.
                "The highly developed "Spatulate," a type of flared celt frequently referred to as "spud," is comprised of two distinct types. Those made of---granite and those made of flint---."---1954, B.W. Stephens, Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol. 1 No. 2.
                "We think they ("spuds") were not designed for any utilitarian function, but that they are properly classed as ceremonials; that they were maces or emblems of authority--".---1954, B.W. Stephens, Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol. 1 No. 2.

and here is a pic from the same article. I’ll post another one or two if I can find some good ones.

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thank you Jethro I was trying to PM you but it’s full .. I was going to make a post titled attention Jethro .
                  I LOVE IT .

Comment

Thanks again Jethro for figuring out its a chipped spatula

Comment

Tam this is what a Spatulate looks like https://stores.arrowheads.com/detail.php?pid=MTI0Nzk%3D The one in the link is one that is owned by the the owner of arrowheads.com I just feel you need to open your mind and see that it is possible that what you have is a spall. Spuds and spatulates are refined artifacts. They are not just a flake with a shape. Thank you
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

No I understand Hoss thank you . I do realize the true spud Jethro has found . I have bought a book on tools explaining spalls and the production of points/ knives .
                        Very opened minded and learning the process . I never bother to ever post anything like that . But they are very unusual and I truly hope I find a nice one again to show you .
                        Thanks again for taking the time to post a link .

Comment

Working...
                        X