No announcement yet.

My Artifact Guy Sold Me Some Smokers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That side notched point looks more Archaic to me than Woodland. Check out the Raddatz and Big Sandy types. Of course I'm looking at pictures and not holding it so you might be correct.
    Whatever you call them, they are sweet,
    fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

I thought Racoon Creek type point...Big Sandy's to me are generally wider but after looking at a Raddatz point I could see it being late Archiac. There really is no smoking gun as to what it is in my honest opinion. There are people here with much more experience than I have and I would love to hear their thoughts.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	326870 In their new home!

Comment

Nice buys hard to pick a favorite .

Comment

The good fortune continues! My son and I went to Chillicothe, Ohio yesterday to visit the Hopewell Earthworks and spent several hours artifact hunting. Although we struck out finding anything I decided to take a look at the local antique stores as they can be a hotbed for smokers and killers in this area. Look what I found that is now in my collection...Some of the nicest drills I have ever seen made with Flint Ridge chert found locally in Ross County... Click image for larger version  Name:	11081_1200x1600.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	327250 Click image for larger version  Name:	11082_1200x1600.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	327251 Click image for larger version  Name:	11083_1200x1600.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	327252
            Last edited by Helldogg; 10-22-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Have you considered submitting one of your Flint Ridge points to the Overstreet ID color section? You should. Those are some awesome colors!
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That is probably something I should do although Flint Ridge Chert gets a lot more colorful than my points.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                It doesn't matter. Those points are awesome, and that Decatur is perfect! Heck, all of the points you have shown me are perfect!

Those black points in the far left of your picture: What material are those? It looks like Indiana material.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
                Those black points in the far left of your picture: What material are those? It looks like Indiana material.
                Those are my pride and joys...have another four or five to purchase. Those are made of Coshocton flint which is my personal favorite.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a black (Adena?) point with some striping. I have to find it.

A few pieces are not heat treated giving them a dull appearance.

Comment

Indiana Hornstone would be the Beavertail in the case to the right of the colorful points.

Comment

Working...
                  X