Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black !

This is the latest point type found here on the south plains of Tx
    I had to know what the metal was so I took a fine file and grazed the very corner of the base. The metal appeared red/orange.
    I would like to encourage all these folks that are looking for artifacts, to keep looking... I have no comments on the common rocks they find except I love their efforts ! I would be happy to help with any advice they might need to find artifacts.. Myself, I went hunting 13 times on great camps sites before I found a archaic dart ... I was 16.
    Lubbock County Tx

Beautiful black trade point! You have some incredible sites down there!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Great trader there...it looks like it had some weight to it. Do ya think that is the reason for the hole...to reduce flight weight? Really great find L.M.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure , but perhaps it was used to bind the arrow to the shaft..

Iron/cast iron??

To discover the chemical compound of the metal, there are thermal luminescence tests they can do with laser beams and magic that won’t even mar the surface of the artifact. Most larger universities have the equipment and they won’t even charge you...
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Brass or copper? I've seen some recycled points like that from Chihuahua and Sonora, do you think it was Spanish related or later metal from US settlement?
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d never thought about it being Spanish,great theory ! I do have a few Spanish artifacts..My thoughts were the later...Copper

LM’s point is made of either brass or copper and that could be determined by an experienced user of a quality metal detector.

Sometimes the metal being recycled already had holes in it.

Not a very good image but these are three such examples from the Great Plains region. The two on the left are iron and were in an image Jeb Taylor gave me and the point on the right is one I found and it is made of brass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal Points_holes.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	332284

Comment

A great find and a great post. I've learned a lot from it. Thanks LM and to those who responded with info.

Comment

Working...
      X