Share a Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share a Find

Well with winter settling in Im sure most have snow and ice keeping them form going out. Here none yet but plenty of rain and everything is flooded even the fields. Im in N GA in case some dont know. I was hoping everyone would take the time to post a favorite find with a short story to go along with it. You can post as many finds as you like to keep your memories alive till your next find. I will start with one of mine and others can join in when they want. I dont always get on this but do view with my phone on lunch breaks keeps me informed and I do like seeing others finds which keeps me hoping to find a good one. All my finds are surface only. So post away Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11538.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	338362 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11540.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	338363 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11542.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	338364 This is my largest quartz point/knife I have ever found as you can see I found it in a creek. My buddy took me to one of his places and I passed him in my yak and hit the next gravel bar down. He is a real good finder so I had to leave him on the other spot so I could find one cause he can spot them from a ways off. It ended up being the best find of the day. Found it in 2014. I think its a Savannah River, N GA
    NW Georgia,

Big honker there ! Love that translucence! Keep posting ! JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks L it was a nice find and it being yellow quartz was special I havent found another like it since

Nice point SurfaceHunter. Here is a point I found in July of 2013. It holds the centerpiece of my A frame, waiting to be knocked out by a better point. It's Carter Cave flint and measures 2 3/4 by 1 inch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	carter4.JPG Views:	1 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	338376
    I found it sitting in 6 inches of water at the top of a gravel bar. One of those amazing moments where the point is sitting there, glowing, waiting for me to pick it up. That moment is why I hunt, when you first see it and pick it up in disbelief. I'm a surface gleaner and reluctant creek walker. Streams don't give me much but when they do it's outa' the park. Checking my notes, I found another Big Sandy in the same creek in July of 2016... guess I'll be back there in July of 2019.
    Last edited by fldwlkr; 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: can't spell
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome Fldwlkr

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice I think if it was me I would be in that spot more than once a year. Seeing you have found 2 in the same spot might be a Cashe waiting on you on your next visit. I have 2 theories one being they wash up of course from erosion and the other they were buried for a return visit. 2 alike to me means probably buried.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	338386 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	338387 That Carter Cave makes me think of our Greenbriar
    8000 BCE to 7000 BCE/ "Early Dalton" Filthy ground base.

I was snorkeling, working the cracks in the limestone bottom along the edges of the Santa Fe River near Rum Island for fossils and artifacts (during the Isolated Finds Program..). Within a few minutes of entering the water along my friend's property I found a pretty nice Savannah River type point with just a smidgin of the base missing, along with a candy little point and a funky. My friend and his company freaked out LOLOL as they were swimming right next to where I was fanning the cracks. I went downstream less than a hundred yards and there is a little spring that only runs about 50 feet to the river just upstream from Rum Island. A lot of canoes and kayaks stop at this spring and run. I entered the run off the river and immediately found this Greenbriar, made of what we call "Rice Grain Chert". Arm's length deep water. Arm's length fanning while snorkeling is my favorite. I posted a pic of the same big point after it was in a casebox/drawer for a year or so....Beautiful patina yucky now!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tomclark; 12-27-2018, 11:20 AM.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      Great way to find artifacts we use the same method to find gold in the rivers out west .

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      I posted a pic of the big point fresh from the river and another pic of the same point, same side after being in a casebox/drawer for a while... yucky lol

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      They always look better when wet

The tip is broken off and I just figured out how to edit to fit this forum so just go with this lol till I get better . This is by far my best experience . It’s a repeat story from about 2 years ago and it was not the typical sunbather . Going to check a deer stand in a remote area . This had to be from someone hunting . But all I saw was a size of a green pea of Chert showing . Waiting for Wayne to get all his gear and guns out I saw the color and kicked at it for a bit to see a chip pop up . Hmmm boy that’s might be a spall . Start digging with my fingers and when that pine tree shape came up I started doing the Barney . ( Barney On Mayberry dance ) I was shaking cause this was coming up on over 2 inches . Grab my pocket knife out and start digging . Thought I was going to stoke out but then the tip was gone . I love edge work and this corner notch had it all . Even pressure flaking on the base .

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tam - I think I remember that one.

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      "But all I saw was a size of a green pea of Chert showing"...
      That demonstrates your expertise!!

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Half of one is better than have of nothing. Nice story

Many years ago I would hunt a camp close to home I could walk over for a quick hunt . It was called Columbia Flat and the last Chief or Head Man of the local tribe made his home there .
    Coppa Hembo was a fascinating historical figure. Born of a Maidu father and Washoe mother he would rise to become the primary Huuk (Chief ) for nearly 50 years over the Hill Nisenan band of the Southern Maidu, with authority over the Maidu and Washoe people living on the Divide between the forks of the Natoman (American) River. As a young man he had been attacked by a grizzly bear which he managed to kill, permanently disfigured by the mauling he was given the name Coppa Hembo (Grizzly Bear Killer). He would lead his people in battles against slave raiders but managed to keep his people out of both the First and Second Indian Wars of El Dorado County continuing to live in peace with the horde of invading miner's . A couple of surface finds from his camp .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are very nice and the story just leaves me wanting more on the adventures of your area.

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard a story that only Coppa Hembo could make crystal points but we all know that's not true . And his people living in peace with the hordes of gold seekers is another fantasy .

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive heard here that the quartz ones are the oldest from local collectors which some are Archaic like Morrow Mountains but all time frames used quartz. Ive only found 1 crystal point but its not as nice as the ones you find.

Yes I agree with Chuck what a great story and the points speak for themselves .

Comment

Strange little Blade I found one Day.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2262.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	338468 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2264.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	338469 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2263.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	338470 I need to get out soon!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderful big overshot flake knife. I wish I had those types here. One day when its light enough I will add a pic of my flake knife bowl. I like to display them in a big bowl so anytime I like I can have a look. Most of mine are black flint.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Surface Hunter, very nice Point You posted.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh I have other points Ive found to in quartz but none like that one. Its my favorite find cause I beat my friend to it. He has a real nice collection of finds he actually has a whole bedroom just points and finds its like a museum.

Name:	IMG_20181217_103655.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	338506 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181217_103838.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	338507 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181217_103745.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	338508 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181217_103542.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	338509 This little thing is cool ...mini micro celt ?
      In
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Just kidding of course its a end scraper

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course I knew you knew that. But..SF did nail it

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I like end scrapers and done find many in that style

You know I am reading this book I got on the Swiftcreek pottery . It goes into some theories about how they were probably master wood workers .It could not be just the paddle stamp . I think that explains lots of the mini tools I find at that camp .

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Tam it seems to me there's a lot of small pottery shaping tools

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        When you find out Tam share the knowledge I have always wondered if most pots were free handed I dont really buy the paddle stamp thing.

Well seeing I went on a long walk today just to be disappointed I will share another past find. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10400.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	338588 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10402.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	338589 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10405.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	338590 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10411.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	338591 Those were the days. I found the 2 in my hand mins apart rolling in the current towards me all I had to do was step on them with my boot and pick them up. I must of stood there waiting on the 3rd for 30 mins, lol Also a 2014 find And found the group shot all the same trip. Thats my best creek I used to be able to go anytime I wanted but the owners sold the property 200 Acres and it took me a while but got new permission from the new owner. Now I can only go June, July and August but its better than none.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red it was a good day for me. I havent had that many nice finds in 2018 like 2014-2015 but Im hoping 2019 will be better after all of this rain stops. I dont even know the types of them Im thinking the longer black one is either a Pickwick or a Ledbetter. The spade one I have no idea its the only one I have ever found like it.

Nice points ..too bad bout limited access to the site. I like the spade lookin one the best. That almost looks like obsidian they're so shiny
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Name:	IMG_4493.PNG
Views:	226
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	338656 This is the second NA artifact I ever found. My first find was a Quartz point that was barely recognizable as an artifact it was so beat up. This was the first time I knew for sure that I had found a point before picking it up. It was the start of my obsession and still one of my favorite finds. I absolutely love those black chert finds SurfaceHunter!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats a nice looking point Sugaree you should get a wet pic of it so we can see the true colors of it. When they dry out they do look dull but thats the patina.

Hey Marshall. You got some pretty material down there... Special connection point.. Nice
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Red! When you wet that point the bands in the rhyolite really show up!

Im sure there are others that can share a find its hard to believe nobody else wants to show anything. I can add some more till somebody else wants to show some.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah do it brother. Ur right there should be more posting goin on here.. ..come on kicking brothers and sisters
      Working...
      X